The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Communications Operations Associate in the Communications Department to be based at the Philip Merrill Environmental Center in Annapolis, MD.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established in 1967, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 210 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $30 million and is supported by over 300,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
Communications galvanizes support for and involvement in Bay restoration efforts. Communications works to frame the public debate on regional water-quality issues; brands CBF as a strong, credible, effective authority with broad expertise; works with other departments to grow and engage CBF’s members, activists, and volunteers; and serves as a leader in institutional cross-functional campaigns.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Communications Operations Associate will provide departmental support including but not limited to: executive administrative support, office management operations, and business activities. This position will assist the Senior Manager, Operations & Strategy in marketing and internal communications for the organization and provide customer service for a variety of public-facing platforms.
Essential functions include:
- Support the Vice President for Communications: monitoring communications; coordinating meeting, travel, and event arrangements; drafting, proofreading, and distributing presentations, documents, and reports; and technical support when appropriate
- Assist the Communications Directors: scheduling, event management, and technical support as requested
- Support departmental meetings and events: scheduling, agenda creation, notetaking, and logistics management for regular meetings, retreats, and staff life events (birthdays, retirement, etc.)
- Maintain the office area, supplies, and equipment, as well as digital and physical department filing systems
- Act as liaison to a team of administrative professions for the organization, including answering front desk phones periodically
Operations & Budget (30%)
o Manage digital, newspaper, and other online and recurring accounts
o Prepare and submit monthly credit card reports
o Code and process invoices
o Maintain up-to-date budget records
o Prepare contract requests for approval
o Draft Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for departmental projects and manage RFP
submissions and review
- Act as IT liaison and sit on the IT Steering Committee; coordinate departmental use of enterprise technologies and rollouts of new technologies
- Act as HR liaison and assist with the hiring process when needed, including managing Communications intern/volunteer recruitment and/or management
- Provide technical support for press conferences, webinars, and smaller, non-Communications events
- Ensure alignment of building (PMC & Brock) and tabling event collateral DocuSign Envelope ID: 9B9AB494-3B66-42A6-8731-3ADEE9959B2DInternal
- Coordinate annual in-person All Hands meetings, including venue, rentals, catering, etc.
- Provide support to the Senior Manager, Operations & Strategy for regular internal communications activities such as the weekly CBF Briefing meeting, newsletter, and staff learning series
- Maintain the Communications page of the employee intranet
- Introduce new staff to the Communications department in monthly New Hire Orientations
Customer Service (10%)
- Assist with CBF Online Store management including acting as lead customer service representative
- Provide support to customer-facing services across the communications department
- Work to ensure that systems, organizational culture, and practices are aligned with CBF’s mission, values and commitments related to DEIJ.
- Develop and refine programs and activities to ensure equitable practices and support the development of a diverse and effective team.
- Ensure an inclusive working environments that supports diverse populations
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s degree preferred. One to three years’ relevant experience supporting a senior executive in a fast-paced environment with an aptitude for managing details. Experience in a mission-driven, environmental advocacy, and educational organization is desirable. The ideal candidate will be: discrete, confidential, calm under pressure, creative, and high energy with strong interpersonal skills to interact effectively with CBF leadership, staff, Board members, and other affiliated organizations. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Experience in managing office processes and technology, including troubleshooting and training; proficiency across Microsoft Office Suite; experience with the following software is a bonus: Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Smartsheet, Box, Nexonia.
Ability to work independently and within a team environment. Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Ability to receive and give supportive feedback to foster equity and inclusion in working relationships. Ability to recognize, nurture, and learn from strengths in co-workers. Having flexibility to accomplish job responsibilities in several work environments, whether it be from home, on the road, or in an office
Salary Range: $43,000-$48,000
To apply, please send resume and cover letter through job posting on CBF website.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan with matching contribution.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
Just as biodiversity is the key to a thriving ecosystem, human diversity is the key to saving the Bay. Success depends on people from widely diverse backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, identities, and races taking collective action. Clean water, clean air, and a safe environment are rights we all share.
To increase diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation will:
- Recruit and retain a staff, board, and membership that reflect the diversity of people living within the Chesapeake Bay region;
- Strengthen and broaden the diversity of our partnerships;
- Celebrate and value the diversity of staff; and
- Fight to ensure that everyone has equal access to clean water, clean air, and a safe environment.
CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.