Baltimore Tree Trust (BTT), the leading urban forestry nonprofit organization in Baltimore City, seeks a full-time Communications & Outreach Coordinator to join its Remington-based team. Established in 2008, BTT is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to enhance and protect Baltimore City’s urban tree canopy through strategic planting initiatives, broad-based engagement, and local workforce training. By engaging in diverse partnerships, leading community greening efforts, and creating public service job opportunities, BTT is committed to a vision of equitable access to the benefits of urban nature for all of the city’s residents. Baltimore Tree Trust is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, visit baltimoretreetrust.org.
The Communications & Outreach Coordinator will support the Communications and Outreach department in sharing Baltimore Tree Trust’s voice, messaging, and branding around the organization’s vision. Reporting directly to the Communications & Outreach Director, this role will assist with daily communications activities related to public facing correspondences from Baltimore Tree Trust, along with community outreach initiatives for the implementation of tree planting and operations-based initiatives. Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor engagement across social media platforms, ensuring that inquiries and comments are responded to and/or directed to the appropriate department.
- Provide assistance for the development and posting of social media campaigns with the aim of increasing followers and overall engagement.
- Support the development of the monthly email newsletters and website blog posts; including creating copy, scheduling posts, and distributing to partners.
- Use analytics to improve the Tree Trust’s website and social media campaigns.
- Update the monthly Communications Tracker to log social media metrics and media/public relation engagements.
- Meet weekly with the Communications & Outreach Director to strategize online engagement opportunities and plan social media content.
- Assist the Communications & Outreach Director with researching and identifying key media and news contacts within Baltimore City.
- Provide support for the maintenance and updating of the Tree Trust’s website.
- Oversee the uploading and categorizing of photos and videos onto the shared drive.
- Assist with directing inquiries from the main Baltimore Tree Trust information account.
- Support outreach initiatives through community canvassing, including neighborhood door-knocking and attending community meetings to share upcoming projects and opportunities.
- Field and respond to community inquiries, resident questions, and tree declines/complaints in a friendly and timely manner.
- Attend weekly Outreach and Operations meetings to help support seasonal outreach campaigns, volunteer events, and neighborhood planting initiatives.
- Update promotional materials as needed for community canvassing and outreach use.
- Support the department by attending occasional community tabeling engagements and volunteer events.
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree, or currently pursuing a degree relating to communications design, marketing, environmental advocacy, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in providing public relations, social media, or communications support for non-profit organizations or similar small businesses.
- Familiarity with Baltimore City neighborhoods, with the ability to connect with residents as part of ongoing community outreach initiatives.
- Baltimore City resident with an interest in urban forestry and greening initiatives across Maryland strongly preferred.
- Strong digital fluency with social media and the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, & Acrobat)
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including editing and proofing.
- Ability to work independently while juggling multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Starting at $40,000 annually.
- Full time, non-exempt employee, with some remote options.
- BTT offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package including paid time off, insurance, a tax-deferred retirement plan, and education and conference stipend.
Please email a copy of your cover letter and resume, along with a portfolio OR three creative writing/design samples (articles, blogs, flyers, or social media posts) to email@example.com no later than March 20, 2023.
BTT is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression,sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.