Waterkeepers Chesapeake (WKC) seeks a part-time Communications & Outreach Intern. The intern will maintain WKC’s social media presence, create images, video and graphics, write blogs, organize and staff outreach opportunities, and provide assistance to Waterkeepers as needed.
Hours: 10-15 hours per week
Duration: Now through May 2023 (potential to extend)
Location: This is a work-from-home position (intern must have access to a computer, reliable internet connection, and phone service), with occasional meetings at our office in Silver Spring, MD and attendance at outreach events.
- Create daily social media posts for Waterkeepers Chesapeake Facebook and Instagram
- Monitor social media accounts of our 17 Waterkeeper members and repost/retweet/share as appropriate.
- Work with WKC staff to create and execute more in-depth communications campaigns, including through social media, our website, email, and action alert platforms.
- Write blogs and assist in website updates.
- Data entry or migration involved in maintaining current contact lists, etc.
- Provide communications assistance to Waterkeepers as needed.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
- Competence using Facebook and Instagram (including personal experience).
- Competence using Microsoft Office Suite as well as Google Drive applications.
- Ability to devote 10-15 hours each week to WKC.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and supervisors remotely.
- Must be responsible, organized, and motivated.
- Passion for WKC’s mission.
- Basic design skills (experience with Canva and video creation and editing) a plus but not required.
- Experience with WordPress, Action Network and ArcGIS Online a plus but not required.
- This internship would be good for a college or graduate student working on a degree in environmental sciences or policy, communications, or public relations and marketing.
Intern Competencies Gained/Enhanced
- Experience working with a small, nonprofit organization.
- Develop or enhance social media skills in a professional context.
- Exposure to the Mid-Atlantic environmental community.
- Increased knowledge of environmental issues, regulation, and policy.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For your application to be considered, your subject line must include your full name then “_Comms Internship Application”and include two writing samples.
Waterkeepers Chesapeake is a racial justice and equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and those from communities most impacted by environmental injustice are strongly encouraged to apply.
Waterkeepers Chesapeake fights for clean water and a healthy environment by supporting 17 Waterkeepers throughout the Chesapeake and coastal regions as they protect their communities, rivers, and streams from pollution. https://waterkeeperschesapeake.org/