Title: Community Engagement Coordinator
Location: Bethesda, MD (currently mostly virtual, with regular field work in the park and watershed)
Reports to: Community Engagement Manager
Type: Full-time, Tuesdays-Saturdays
Our Mission: Rock Creek Conservancy restores Rock Creek and its parklands as a natural oasis for all people to appreciate and protect.
Job Description: The Community Engagement Coordinator advances the Conservancy’s mission and strategic goals through implementation of people-powered restoration programs to promote watershed health. Primary activities are coordination of the Stream Team Leader and bacteria monitoring programs, as well as the annual Extreme Cleanup. The coordinator is the Conservancy’s technical expert on watershed health.
- Implement watershed health volunteer programs (‘people-powered restoration’), including Stream Team Leaders, Adopt-A-Stream, bacteria monitoring, and Extreme Cleanup, to engage community members to promote stewardship
- Empower community members to take appropriate stewardship actions relating to watershed health by building strong community relations
- Provide scientific or technical insights regarding watershed health and water quality, including analyses of volunteer and public data, responding to notifications of illegal discharges or other water quality concerns, and researching watershed health in support of Conservancy publications or efforts
- Support all community engagement programs, including leading events and field operations as neededOther duties as assigned, including administrative, fundraising, and organizational support
Desired Skills and Expertise:
- Experience coordinating volunteers
- Knowledge of watershed health science, particularly related to urban stormwater and water infrastructure
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work out of doors in challenging weather conditions
- Ability to travel efficiently to work in the field with equipment in many places throughout Rock Creek Park and the Rock Creek watershed (DC and Montgomery County)
- Willingness to support regular evening work (flex time provided)
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis after February 1. Rock Creek Conservancy offers a competitive benefits package; salary range is $41,000 – $47,500. Rock Creek Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.