Arundel Rivers seeks a full-time Community Outreach Assistant to help our team connect communities to their lands and waters through meaningful environmental restoration and outreach initiatives.
The Community Outreach Assistant will serve as the community liaison to neighborhoods and individual landowners seeking to restore their streams, wetlands, shorelines, raingardens, forests, and more. This new team member will assist the Director of Grants and Restoration and the Outreach Coordinator in all facets of Arundel Rivers’ restoration, outreach, and education programming. The ideal candidate will have a passion for community engagement and environmental restoration and be comfortable interacting with crowds of any size.
About Arundel Rivers Federation:
Arundel Rivers is located in Edgewater, Maryland just minutes away from historic Annapolis on a peninsula surrounded by the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries. Arundel Rivers works with communities through science-based environmental restoration, advocacy, and public policy to preserve, protect, and restore the South, West, and Rhode Rivers and associated tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. We envision clean, fishable, swimmable waterways for current and future generations.
Community Liaison for Restoration Efforts – Arundel Rivers works with communities across the South, West, and Rhode River watersheds to deliver cutting-edge environmental restoration projects that improve habitat, water quality, and communities. We seek to engage those communities at every step of the restoration process. The Community Outreach Assistant will work closely with the Director of Grants and Restoration to manage communications with community leaders before, during, and following restoration projects. The new team member will scour the watershed to find new partners, organize site visits and community meetings for projects, and design outreach materials to keep communities engaged throughout the restoration process.
Being Present in our Communities – We have many active community, neighborhood, and civic organizations across our watersheds. We are often invited to attend organizational events or coordinate meaningful events of our own for organizations. Whether planning a volunteer tree-planting event at a restoration site or interacting with residents at a community picnic, the Community Outreach Assistant will work closely with the Outreach Coordinator to track, plan, and attend community engagement events on behalf of Arundel Rivers.
Applying for Funding – In coordination with the Director of Grants and Restoration and the Outreach Coordinator, the Community Outreach Assistant will seek funding in the form of grants and donations from government agencies, businesses and family foundations to support Arundel Rivers’ restoration and outreach programs.
Communicating our Story – The Community Outreach Assistant will work with staff to design outreach materials and educational signage for events and restoration projects using graphic design software and will assist staff in social media and website communications as necessary to highlight Arundel Rivers’ restoration and outreach programs.
The position will work an average of 40 hours per week. There will be frequent evening and weekend work attending and organizing community, restoration, and outreach events. Telework and flexible schedules are supported and encouraged.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Two or more years of postsecondary education or demonstrated experience in communications, education, environmental studies, or a closely related field is preferred;
- Experience and comfort speaking in front of crowds of any size;
- A passion for preserving local waterways;
- Flexibility to work at community events on evenings and weekends as necessary;
- Familiarity with graphic design software, such as Canva; and
- Familiarity with content management software for websites, such as WordPress.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary for this entry-level position is $45,000 to $50,000 depending upon knowledge and experience. Other benefits include:
- Competitive, employer-provided health, dental, vision, and short and long-term disability insurance;
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employee match of up to 3% of annual salary;
- Flexible scheduling including virtual and teleworking opportunities;
- 16 paid holidays, 15 days of paid, annual leave increasing to 20 days after two years of employment, and 10 days of paid sick leave annually; and
- Funding available for professional development and attendance of national and regional conferences.
The successful candidate should be prepared to begin work in mid-September, 2023, or sooner.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with your name and “Community Outreach Assistant” in the subject title.