BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Assists with the maintenance and day-to-day operations of the Robinson Nature Center (RNC). This position performs maintenance of buildings, grounds and equipment. Performs and supervises custodial services provided at the nature center. Inspects the site to ensure that facilities, grounds, and equipment are in good order and in proper condition and that safety standards are maintained. Assists with the set up and take down for programs, classes & events, including some janitorial duties. Develops and oversees the completion of work projects and other duties as assigned
DUTIES: Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• General building and grounds maintenance associated with operating a nature center.
• Sets up and take down tables/chairs and various other items required for meetings, trainings, special events etc.
• Performs various minor building maintenance activities such as fixing /adjusting doors, hinges, changing light bulbs, etc.
• Performs various janitorial duties not covered in the janitorial contract to include the operation of buffers, carpet cleaners, safe use of various chemical cleaning agents, trash removal, etc.
• Constructs the physical components of interpretive display media as required.
• Performs and/or oversees various landscape maintenance activities such as mowing, weeding, edging, mulching, pruning, raking, planting, fertilizing, etc.
• Determines and applies appropriate pesticides for vegetation control.
• Maintains fountains/water features.
• Constructs and installs nest boxes.
• During inclement weather, keeps entry ways and walkways clear of snow and ice to maintain public safety.
• Provides a security presence and works on special projects involving building maintenance.
• Other duties may be assigned
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS: Read and follow written instructions. Be able to work independently. Operate a motor vehicle safely, capable of using a two-way radio, phone and pager. Be able to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions. Must have knowledge and experience in park, landscape and building maintenance. Must be able to communicate effectively, work unsupervised and make safe and responsible decisions. Operate a variety of hand and power tools and equipment. Be trained in the use of the AED, CPR and First Aid. Must have flexible schedule and possess a Maryland class “C” drivers license with certified driving record. Background checks required.
EXPERIENCE: Preferred: Related experience and/or past positions with park maintenance or construction.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED, Maryland Class C Driver’s License
RATE OF PAY: Contingent – Service/Maintenance Advanced Skills Responsibilities $15.00/hour
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants can send resume to Brian Campbell, firstname.lastname@example.org