2022 Summer DEI Intern
The Howard County Conservancy is a non-profit environmental education center located in Woodstock, MD. We reach more than 24,000 children each year through our nature field trip programs, Summer Camps, and more.
Introducing diverse groups to a career in environmental fields is a priority of the Conservancy. We are looking for a DEI Intern to help cultivate a supportive and inclusive environment for all of our Summer Camp staff and campers. We believe that the educational environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to learn.
The DEI Intern will gain experience in both educating students about environmental topics and in program management. The Intern will work with the education team to plan, prepare and implement environmental lessons for campers and students including activities with a focus on inclusion. They will assist with program assessment and staff training. Weekly check-ins on personal educational growth will help the intern personalize the internship. College Credit may be received for this internship.
- DEI Intern will hone teaching and presentation skills by planning, conducting and evaluating short lessons for campers and students.
- Promotes diversity, equity and inclusion activities.
- Learn how to connect lessons with State and National educational standards by working with education staff to design programs.
- Support Senior Camp Counselors in classroom management by maintaining a safe, warm, supportive and fun environment for all campers.
- Assist with the After Care program as needed.
- Manage volunteer projects in preparation for programs.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- At least one year of college completed
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, dependability and leadership abilities
- Must provide own transportation
Intern work dates: Internships begin seasonally or by semester. Dates flexible. Average internships last 10 weeks. Our Summer Camp Season is June 20 – August 26, 2022
Intern hours: variable; approximately 20 hours per week between the hours of 9am and 5 pm, Monday-Friday.
Compensation rate: $14/ hr.
The Howard County Conservancy is dedicated to building a culturally diverse staff committed to teaching and working in an inclusive environment. We encourage applications from women, minority groups, veterans and people with disabilities.
To apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter via e-mail to Kylie Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org.