As Development Manager you will oversee the smooth and professional handling of donations, an essential element of Potomac Conservancy’s fundraising operation. The Development Manager ensures all donations are recorded and acknowledged, and oversees all aspects of donation management. As a member of the Potomac Conservancy team, you will play a key role in our mission to protect the Potomac River and ensure clean water for all in our community.
This is a part-time position.* The expected 20 hours per week on average can be very flexible throughout most weeks, with around one-third of the hours to be worked at the office in Silver Spring, Maryland and the rest of the time appropriate for remote/home-office work.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Donation Processing (60%)
- Track, input, and code all donations (check, credit card, electronic fund transfer, stock, and workplace giving) in the donor database.
- Deposit donations weekly using a secure office scanner or at the bank.
- Manage gift documentation.
- Maintain and create gift coding systems to make database donation information accessible.
- Create reports for fundraising initiatives, mailings, and campaigns using the donor database.
- Coordinate with finance team to ensure accurate reporting of all donations.
Donor Experience Stewardship (30%)
- Manage the donation acknowledgment process by writing, editing, and regularly refreshing acknowledgment letters.
- Prepare acknowledgment letters for mailing at least twice a month, handling a large volume of mail assembly at various times of the year.
- Identify when donor stewardship would be well served by personal outreach or special communications from others on the team.
- Analyze donor trends, and initiate improvements for fundraising and donor stewardship.
- Update protocols and operate data cleaning processes to ensure continual improvement and reflect best practices.
- Organization Team Support (10%)
- Support implementation of the Potomac Conservancy Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice plan by participating in discussions and periodically co-leading team learning sessions.
- Assist with special projects and events as time is available, such as volunteer cleanups, paddle nights, or fundraising events. Attend all-staff gatherings four times a year.
* Potential for full time position
If you are interested in a full-time position, please see the other part-time role advertised by Potomac Conservancy. These two roles can be put together with duties in both projects if the applicant’s skills and abilities align with both.
Qualifying Skills, and Abilities ++
- High school diploma or equivalent in education, training, or experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least two years of data entry or other data organizing experience, office management, or customer service management experience, showing progressive responsibilities.
- Excellent written communication capabilities.
- Strong organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Aptitude for analyzing a problem, and then formulating and proposing a logical solution.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Prioritization skills and confidence to recognize changes in priorities, think independently, and recommend or make decisions.
- Ability to work in Potomac Conservancy’s Silver Spring, MD office for those elements of the job that require in-office work for a portion of one or two days a week.
Additional – Preferred, but not Required Skills and Abilities
- Management skills.
- Database experience. We use EveryAction, a model similar to most donor databases.
- High-level proficiency with MS Office programs including MS Word and MS Excel.
- Passion for our environment and interest in making our community a healthy and rewarding place to live.
++This position uses a wide variety of skills. We encourage you to apply if you think you would be a good fit, even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications.
Compensation, Benefits, and Location
- The pay range is $25 to $28/hour, or $27,560 annually.
- This is a part-time role, averaging 20 hours per week.
- This position enjoys a hybrid work environment with in-office work in our Silver Spring, MD office at least part of the day one to two days a week. This in-office work can be balanced with the option of remote work.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Medical or dental benefits are not included, as this is a part-time position.
- Work and learning benefits include outdoor and learning excursions with the full staff team three times a year and summer Friday afternoons off when the office is shut.
- Travel reimbursement for work-related trips (other than work in the Silver Spring office).
- Working with bright, fun coworkers and interacting with a supportive board of directors.
Email a cover letter and resume to Mary Vasse at email@example.com with “Development Manager” in the subject line. The position will remain open until filled with priority given to applications arriving before October 15. Potomac Conservancy is an equal-opportunity employer.