Job Opening: Digital Content Manager
Date posted: November 7, 2023
Potomac Conservancy seeks an energetic digital content writer to join our growing team. The Digital Content Manager will report to the Director of Digital Communications in a collaborative environment that is driven to meet online engagement and movement building goals.
As a key member of “Team Potomac,” the Manager will build a growing base of online news consumers and supporters who are inspired to drive meaningful change in our community through digital content marketing.
Founded in 1993, Potomac Conservancy is a leading environmental organization in the Potomac River region. Our conservation and advocacy initiatives improve local water quality by strengthening our community’s natural defenses against pollution and the impacts of the climate crisis. Empowered by 30,000+ supporters, we protect streamside forests, pass strong water protection laws, and restore litter-ravaged shorelines. Join our team and help us return swimmable and fishable waters to our hometown river!
Position summary and responsibilities:
The Digital Content Manager will use their creative talents to execute a proven content marketing strategy to connect and build community with nature lovers in the Potomac River region. We envision this position spending 25-30% of their time dedicated to social media creatives and support for our social followers.
Full responsibilities include:
Social media leadership 30%: Help shape our social media strategy and execute social media creatives for our channels: Instagram, Facebook, Threads, LinkedIn, and TikTok. Produce brand-consistent videos, Reels, stories, posts, and other interactive content. Stay up to date on current social media trends and changes to the platforms. Use graphic design platforms, like Canva, Adobe, or CapCut to produce social media graphics and videos. Identify and collaborate with regional influencers in coordination with the Brand and Marketing Director.
Digital communications 50%: Produce brand-consistent and high-quality digital communications including blogs, a monthly e-newsletter, and supporter cultivation emails. Collaborate with the Communications Team on our message strategy and content marketing tactics. Capture community stories, photographs, and amateur videos around the Potomac River region. Maintain Potomac Conservancy’s website. Provide light support for other communications projects as needed including call-to-actions and publications.
Data & Analytics 10%: Track and analyze key performance metrics across platforms and utilize our Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) system. Work with the Communications Team to apply what we learn and optimize our content and engagement tactics.
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice 5%: Contribute to integrated DEIJ approaches in the communications strategy and organizational learning and work. This includes prioritizing DEIJ in your work and participating in monthly learning sessions.
Light Administrative 5%: Maintain photo and video database, assist with earned media materials, monitor public inquiries, track media impressions, and process invoicing for communications-directed vendors.
Professional experience and qualifications:
This position is ideal for someone who is passionate about the environment and is excited to build on their public interest communications skills with a trusted brand. We seek a manager who brings creative energy and enthusiasm for social media engagement as a critical space to build a diverse digital movement for clean water. The role is best suited for a self-starter who has the drive to pursue excellence, a positive mindset to overcome obstacles, and the ability to employ innovative tactics.
Qualifying Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
We encourage you to apply if you think you would be a good fit, even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in digital communications
- At least two years of experience creating high-quality and engaging digital content for website, email, and social media platforms including text, images, videos, and graphics;
- In-depth knowledge and user of various social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok) and the ability to adapt content to fit the unique features and audience on each platform;
- A passion for the environment and natural treasures of the Potomac River region
- Excellent written communication capabilities both long and short form;
- The ability to quickly adjust to changing content marketing trends and digital technologies;
- A working knowledge of SEO principles and strategies to expand reach through hashtags, influencers, co-branded opportunities, etc;
- Efficiently manages time and resources to meet schedules and deadlines;
- Demonstrates sound judgment, maturity, professionalism, and critical thinking skills;
- Values and executes thoughtful planning, organization, systems, and time management;
- Strong teamwork skills with an ability to work independently without close supervision;
- Values and implements promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice and centers Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC), LGBTQ+, and other marginalized communities;
- A background in or experience with analytics, constituent relationship management (CRM) databases, photography, videography, and/or graphic design a plus;
- Fluency in Spanish or other languages a plus.
Location: Potomac Conservancy is located in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland. Our office is conveniently located within a five-minute walk from the Silver Spring Metro station. The organization currently employs a generous work-from-home (WFH) policy with in-person time commitments at select times; the office is open Monday-Friday and open to use at any time.
Desired start date: Late December 2023/January 2024
Compensation and benefits: This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) with a salary range of $53,000-$56,000 based on the experience and skills you bring. Benefits include medical and dental coverage; 18 days paid time off per year and one week off in December; 10 holidays per year; 3 floating holidays per year; half-Fridays off in the summer; matching 403(b) retirement funds; flex spending accounts; and a fun and rewarding work environment.
Submit your application to Director of Digital Communications Haley Epping at email@example.com. To be considered, you must submit a thoughtful cover letter, your resume, and at least two writing samples. Include “Digital Content Manager” in the subject line. This position will remain open until it is filled.
Potomac Conservancy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees, and to providing employees with a welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. We strongly encourage applications from Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) communities and those who have been historically less included in the environmental movement.