The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Digital Marketing and Engagement Manager in the Communications Department to be based at the Philip Merrill Environmental Center located in Annapolis, MD.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established in 1967, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 210 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $30 million and is supported by over 300,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
Communications galvanizes support for and involvement in Bay restoration efforts. Communications works to frame the public debate on regional water-quality issues; brands CBF as a strong, credible, effective authority with broad expertise; works with other departments to grow and engage CBF’s members, activists, and volunteers; and serves as a leader in institutional cross-functional campaigns.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Digital Marketing and Engagement Manager provides strategic marketing insight and oversight for CBF’s programs, events, and priorities. This position serves as the in-house expert responsible for the development and execution of promotional plans and social media strategy that support CBF’s business goals and advance CBF’s brand and mission. Through effective collaboration across the Communications Department, the rest of the organization, and external partners, the Digital Marketing and Engagement Manager facilitates successful campaigns and plays a key component in CBF’s overall content strategy while advancing the organization’s priorities, brand, and reach.
Essential functions include:
- Successfully market and promote CBF’s education program, volunteer opportunities, content strategy, and other events, programs, or campaigns:
- Contribute to the development of strategic marketing plans.
- Create production and promotion timelines.
- Draft and/or edit promotional copy for channels like the website, social media, email marketing, advertising, blogs, etc.
- Set up and send HTML emails.
- Work in CBF’s database (Salesforce) or email marketing platform (Blackbaud’s Luminate Online) to query and import/export audience lists for targeting.
- Work in CBF’s project management tool (Asana) to coordinate the implementation of tactics, including making requests to Creative Services for art and other promotional materials.
- Report on progress to stakeholders.
- Compile and analyze metrics for reporting.
- Craft and deliver debriefs with insights and recommendations for future success.
- Oversee, strategize, cultivate, and grow CBF’s social media presence:
- Create a holistic social media strategy that works to achieve organizational goals and enhance the organization’s greater content strategy.
- Craft clever, compelling, and strategic social posts for CBF’s main brand channels that market the organizations mission and priorities and encourages action.
- Actively listen, respond, and engage the audience on CBF-owned social media platforms, looking for opportunities to insert CBF’s mission and messages into relevant conversations.
- Thoughtfully respond (posting when appropriate, recrafting or pushing back if needed) to social media requests from across the organization, partner groups, corporate sponsors, and more.
- Serve as the organization’s social media lead, when time permits, advising other social media moderators and educating colleagues in the tools and techniques of social media to help them understand when and where such digital techniques will be effective.
- Keep abreast of new social media features, trends, and channels and evaluate which of these tools and channels are most effective for CBF and its goals, creating or evolving guidelines for use as necessary.
- Coordinate smaller, one-off digital ads on Facebook, Instagram, and other platforms.
- Identify the key performance indicators necessary to inform decisions around social requests, analyze the effectiveness of CBF’s social media efforts through active monitoring of channels and compiling of metrics, and provide the most valuable monthly review of CBF’s social program and its impact.
- Support the organization’s content strategy and overall editorial work:
- Layout and deploy the monthly Save the Bay e-newsletter, coordinating all necessary reviews and incorporating edits.
- Partner with other content creators across the organization to curate, craft, and post multimedia content on the appropriate channels.
- Report back on content and newsletter performance and provide input and recommendations on story mediums, subject matter, and more based on performance.
- Post blogs, videos, and other stories as well as make general website updates as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- All members of the Digital Marketing and Communications Team are expected to:
- Have a strong visual and editorial sense and contribute to writing and editing digital content across multiple platforms utilizing CBF’s Style Guide, messaging, and the Chicago Manual of Style;
- Consistently maintain and report out on metrics, analyzing the effectiveness of their work while staying abreast of the latest digital media trends and best practices;
- Educate colleagues in the tools and techniques of digital media and marketing to help them understand when and where such techniques will be effective; and
- Work as thoughtfully, nimbly, and successfully as possible with a positive, collaborative, roll-up-your sleeves, can-do attitude in a fast-paced environment.
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
CBF is looking for a strategic and creative digital thinker with excellent writing/editing, project management, and visual skills as well as a solid understanding of and passion for marketing and the digital world. Leading candidates will have at least four years of communications/marketing experience. The ideal candidate will be a graduate from an accredited four-year university or college majoring in Communications, English, Marketing, Policy, Environmental Science, or a related field. Knowledge of and passion for the Chesapeake Bay and its rivers and streams is preferred.
Expertise using social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, and more) as well as using project management software such as Asana, constituent relationship and content management systems such as Salesforce and Blackbaud’s Luminate CMS , and other software and platforms such as WordPress, Phone2Action, Medium, etc. is preferred. Working knowledge of HTML/CSS, the Adobe Creative Suite, and the Microsoft Office Suite is required.
Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Ability to receive and give supportive feedback to foster equity and inclusion in working relationships. Ability to recognize, nurture, and learn from strengths in co-workers. Having flexibility to accomplish job responsibilities in several work environments, whether it be from home, on the road, or in an office.
Salary Range: $63,000 – $66,000
To apply, please send resume and cover letter through job posting on CBF website. This position will be open until filled.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan with matching contribution.
CBF requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The successful candidate will need to submit verification of vaccination or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
Just as biodiversity is the key to a thriving ecosystem, human diversity is the key to saving the Bay. Success depends on people from widely diverse backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, identities, and races taking collective action. Clean water, clean air, and a safe environment are rights we all share.
To increase diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation will:
- Recruit and retain a staff, board, and membership that reflect the diversity of people living within the Chesapeake Bay region;
- Strengthen and broaden the diversity of our partnerships;
- Celebrate and value the diversity of staff; and
- Fight to ensure that everyone has equal access to clean water, clean air, and a safe environment.
CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.