Maryland LCV and Maryland LCV Education Fund are seeking a dynamic individual to join our staff as the first Director of Strategic Communications in our organization’s history. The successful candidate will join the organization at a time when climate policy and environmental justice are well-recognized and growing concerns for the majority of Marylanders and our organization is renewing its strategic plan which centers diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in everything we do.
This position reports to the executive director and will lead the organization’s internal and external communications, working in partnership with the executive director, political, program, and development staff, and partners.
The role’s primary responsibility will be to support our mission of creating and protecting a healthy environment for everyone in Maryland by identifying and sharing stories that educate, empower, and create meaningful connections with our audiences, using multiple communications channels and strategies, including both earned and paid media. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is adaptable, entrepreneurial, media- and tech-savvy, and a superior written and oral communicator.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Create and implement an annual organizational strategic public relations/communications plan and shorter-term communications campaigns to support Maryland LCV’s mission to create and protect a healthy environment for everyone in Maryland.
- Support the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in our work, integrating those concepts into all organizational communication across all channels.
- Creatively shape organizational branding, messaging, and media outreach efforts.
- Serve as the primary media contact and spokesperson for the organization, maintain relationships with reporters and editorial boards across Maryland; pitch stories, editorials, and op-eds.
- Coordinate closely with program directors to ensure consistent messaging and synergy across all channels in both Spanish and English. This includes collaborating with our Chispa program. Chispa means “spark” in Spanish. Chispa is “igniting the movement” for environmental advocacy in the Spanish-speaking Latino population of Maryland and is Maryland LCV’s Spanish-language, Latino power-building, outreach, and advocacy program.
- Manage organizational websites, including hiring and managing design and programming contractor(s) and ensuring the sites consistently and accurately reflect organizational priorities and up-to-date information.
- Supervise one full-time direct report and possibly additional part-time interns or staff.
- Ensure timely, compelling and accurate content is created for Maryland LCV’s member email communications including action alerts, e-newsletters, fundraising appeals, event invites, websites, etc.
- Coordinate with the development team on print and digital collateral for fundraising and donor stewardship purposes.
- Provide communications expertise and support for issue-advocacy coalitions in which Maryland LCV participates.
- Help expand the impact of Maryland LCV’s candidate endorsement program; collaborate with endorsed candidates, and political programs to ensure Maryland LCV’s message is clearly integrated into campaign materials.
- Oversee Maryland LCV’s paid and earned digital media strategy.
- Manage the writing, design and production of print materials including newsletters, one-pagers, scorecards, policy agendas, event collateral, and materials for donor outreach, etc.
- Draft remarks and talking points as needed for Maryland LCV’s executive director and other staff for press conferences, media appearances, events, and fundraising purposes.
- Assist with other duties as required.
- Alignment with Maryland LCV’s values and commitment to centering justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion to create meaningful connections through communication with a wide variety of audiences and communities throughout Maryland
- Five or more years of relevant experience in communications, media relations, storytelling, and non-profit marketing and branding.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication or a related field
- Experience in non-profit advocacy, political campaigns, or government
- Experience managing employees
- Strong strategic, analytical, organizational, and project-management skills, as well as attention to detail
- Demonstrated media outreach experience. Contacts with media outlets in Maryland and the DC region are a strong plus
- Demonstrated fluency with digital strategy and execution, including paid and earned search, social, display, and connect television
- Proven ability to create content that authentically connects with a diverse array of audiences
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills
- Comfort with communications technology and tools
- Experience adhering to, continually improving, and coaching others to follow an organization’s brand and style guides to present and share organizational information
- Ability and willingness to work well as part of a small team
- Demonstrated interest in Maryland politics, civic engagement, and/or environmental and sustainability policy
- Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish is a plus
- Adaptable, able to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously and switch tasks as priorities shift.
Salary and Compensation: Salary range: $80,000-$90,000. Maryland LCV and Maryland LCV EF offer a competitive non-profit salary depending on qualifications and experience. The salary is accompanied by a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance, paid time-off, a 401K plan with an employer match, and opportunities for continual professional development.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position based in Annapolis, Maryland. Occasional remote work may be allowed based on organizational needs and/or emergent public health advisories. This position reports to the executive director. After business hours work may be required.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements to Shivaugn Ahern at email@example.com with Director of Strategic Communications in the subject line. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Maryland LCV, a 501(c)(4) organization, advocates for sound environmental conservation policies, educates and endorses candidates for public office, and holds elected officials responsible on issues including our air, land, water and public health. The Maryland LCV Education Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization that strengthens the environmental community by growing a base of conservation-minded voters across the state. Through outreach and education, the Education Fund builds grassroots field capacity for legislative advocacy and environmental issues. The Maryland LCV PAC is the organization that directly helps elect pro-conservation candidates.
Maryland LCV & Maryland LCV Education Fund are Equal Opportunity Employers committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. Maryland LCV & Maryland LCV Education Fund welcome applicants who self-identify with one or more historically marginalized populations or minority groups.