Title: Downspout Disconnection Canvasser/Technician
Location: in the Rock Creek watershed near Petworth (exact location varies)
Work Schedule: Tuesday – Friday, 3:30 – 7:30; Saturdays 10am – 2pm
Reports to: Senior Green Infrastructure Coordinator
Compensation: $18.50/hour; pay increases to $21/hour upon NGICP certification
Position Overview: Downspout Disconnection In 2017, the Downspout Disconnection Program was launched in conjunction with D.C. Water’s Clean Rivers Project. Phase II of this program was completed in 2018, and Phase III completed in September 2019. The program provides eligible residents of select areas in Washington, D.C. with free downspout disconnections and rain barrels. Working in teams of 2, the primary duties of Technicians will include: door-to-door canvassing to enroll homeowners in the program, auditing downspouts, disconnecting downspouts, and installing rain barrels. The position will involve significant amounts of time communicating with homeowners about the program, completing downspout data entry using the ArcGIS Collector application, and performing downspout disconnections and rain barrel installations.
- Must be able to provide your own transportation or take public transportation to the work site.
- Must be able to walk up to three miles per shift.
- Must be willing to use power drills and power saws (training will be provided).
- Must be willing and able to lift up to fifty pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors and in conditions that range from cold (early spring) to hot and humid (summer).
- Must be dependable and show up on time every day.
- Must be able to professionally communicate with homeowners and co-workers.
- Must be able to carefully document data in digital and analog formats.
- Must have excellent attention to detail for entering data.
- Must be able to work as a member of a team and individual tasks.
- Experience in and/or knowledge of green infrastructure, landscaping, light maintenance, ArcGIS, customer service, or environmental advocacy is a plus. Green Infrastructure certified.
- First aid/CPR certification is a plus, and will be provided if needed.
To Apply: Rock Creek Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send an email, with the subject line “Downspout Disconnect Canvasser/Technician” and resume attached to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Rock Creek Conservancy: Rock Creek Conservancy is a watershed organization protecting Rock Creek and the philanthropic and stewardship partner to the entirety of Rock Creek (National) Park. The Conservancy’s mission is to restore Rock Creek and its parklands as a natural oasis for all people to appreciate and protect.