Position Title: EcoCamp Counselor
Reports to: EcoCamp Director
Overview: Pickering Creek Audubon Center conserves natural habitats on Maryland’s Eastern Shore by engaging and empowering our community through exploration, education and stewardship. The Center includes 400 acres of mature hardwood forests, fresh and brackish wetlands, meadow, agriculture and over a mile of shoreline.
Pickering Creek’s EcoCamp has traditionally been well subscribed to by campers with the program typically selling out. As a result of COVID-19, the last time EcoCamp was offered was the summer of 2019. The camp provides rewarding and engaging outdoor experiences with nature that inspire kids to want to be outside. Camp leaders provide activities that encourage exploration, guiding campers to new experiences and helping them find what interests them in nature.
Position Summary: The EcoCamp Counselor position lasts from June 6 to August 19, 2022. The Counselor will work closely with Pickering Creek Audubon Center’s EcoCamp Director and Assistant Director to leader camper groups and supervise our teen volunteers (aka Junior Naturalists) to run our successful seven week, nature-themed day camp for K-7th graders.
- Lead a group of campers (maximum of 12 per week). A camp week runs Monday to Friday. A typical camp day goes from 8 am to 5 pm, with campers here from 9 am to 4 pm. Some weekend and evening time is required.
- Camp groups are arranged into 3 age groups: Fledglings (entering K-1st grades), Larks (entering 2nd-4thgrades), and Shrikes (entering 5th-7th grades).
- Assist in training and supervising our teen Junior Naturalists. Pickering Creek Audubon Center has about 30 Junior Naturalists but there will be a maximum of nine volunteering during each week of EcoCamp.
- Create a fun and safe environment so campers can explore, discover, and play at their own pace throughout our forest, creek, and wetlands. You must be prepared to get dirty and investigate the natural world alongside the campers as they self-direct their exploration.
- To help jumpstart child-led exploration, create activities appropriate for each age group, weekly camp theme and habitat.
- Work with camp staff to make adjustments to activities and tools provided to campers based on interest, group dynamic and weather.
- Serve as a role model naturalist to our campers and Junior Naturalists. Lead by example on how to respectfully interact with nature and each other.
- Participate in Animal Care and tank maintenance. While camp is in session, schedule a time with the Assistant Director to have your campers “meet” the animals.
- Work with staff to clean and maintain our trails, buildings, and equipment.
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least one year of experience working with children in an educational setting. One year experience may be achieved by combining time from multiple positions or roles (example: multiple summer or school year teaching experiences)
- Canoe/kayak experience or ability to learn. Must be comfortable canoeing with children.
- Enjoy working with others and children of all ages in an outdoor setting.
- Energetic, flexible, patient, and self-motivated.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to supervise teen volunteers.
- Professional and friendly manner.
Please apply at https://pickering-creek-audubon-center.breezy.hr/p/7975d32daea2-ecocamp-counselor/apply A cover letter is required.