Ecosystem Restoration Specialist
GreenVest seeks a full-time, project level, Ecosystem Restoration Specialist to be based out of our Annapolis, Maryland office. We are looking for an energetic candidate with experience in aquatic ecosystem restoration with an emphasis on stream ecology, fluvial geomorphology, stream functional assessment and/or aquatic system ecology (wetlands, lakes, streams, etc.), compensatory mitigation, field ecology and/or ecosystem restoration design.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
Minimum Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Water Resources, Environmental Science, Ecology, Civil Engineering, or related field.
- 3-5 years professional experience.
- Direct ecosystem restoration experience with a focus on aquatic and/or riverine systems.
- Experience in restoration ecology, fluvial geomorphology, stream and/or aquatic ecology including stream functions and functional assessment and the practical application of hydrologic and hydraulic theory.
- Experience in field data collection and sampling techniques including ecological inventories, monitoring well and stream gauge installation, automated data logger operation/installation, GPS based sampling, and data collection and reduction.
- Ability to work in outdoor settings.
- Effective communication, organization and technical writing skills with high standards of quality.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Practical experience in identifying, planning, designing, and/or constructing aquatic ecosystem and stream restoration projects (strong preference for Maryland experience).
- Knowledge of local, state, federal regulations related to ecosystem restoration, Section 404 based mitigation and/or TMDL/MS4 compliance (Maryland or Chesapeake Bay State experience strongly preferred).
- Practical application of stream and/or wetland functional assessment models preferred.
- Geomorphology training (e.g., Rosgen Level 1-4, Maryland Stream Restoration Training, or other relevant coursework or training) preferred.
- Practical experience in conducting annual monitoring of stream and/or wetland restoration projects including data collection, data reduction and report preparation preferred.
- Knowledge of basic principles and approach to development of green infrastructure and/or stormwater best management (BMP) practices or projects.
- Ecosystem restoration construction oversight, including: construction quality control, and soil erosion and sediment control inspection and compliance.
Strong organizational, research and technical writing skills are required. Ability to work in outdoor settings is mandatory. Must be able to work in team settings as well as independently with minimal supervision and direction on multiple projects, at times concurrently. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients, and be devoted to the ecosystem restoration profession.
Desirable software skills include Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, MS Project, ArcMap and basic AutoCAD. Successful candidates will possess a minimum of 3-5 years of experience with a positive attitude, strong work ethic, passion for and devotion to the ecosystem restoration profession.
GreenVest is an equal opportunity employer, salary and benefits will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and skills. Details of the GreenVest benefits package will be shared with qualified candidates and all inquiries will be handled confidentially. If interested, please submit your resume, cover letter and a writing sample to: email@example.com.