Education Director-Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park
Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park
January 15, 2021
The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park (AMM) seeks an Education Director to oversee and manage the award-winning Education Center based at it Park Campus – the Ellen O. Moyer Nature Park.
About the Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park
The AMM aims to inspire a connection and respect for the Chesapeake Bay for generations to come. With a mission to educate youth and adults about the Annapolis area’s rich maritime heritage and the ecology of the Chesapeake Bay through programs, exhibits, and community events. This mission is accomplished through a suite of hands-on programming, including a robust educational department, winter lectures, community events, and two annual fundraisers that bring visitors to two unique locations along Back Creek. The AMM is a 501 (C)(3) non-profit organization.
AMM’s Education Center
The Education Center annually serves over 12,000 participants with ambitious goals for growth per our strategic plan. It provides fun, informative experiences for youth throughout the State of Maryland – teaching them about the history, ecology, environmental sustainability, and cultural traditions of the Chesapeake Bay. AMM offers school field trips, camps, scout programs, birthdays, afterschool programs, and four core programs: Little Skipjacks (pre-k), Chesapeake Champions (second and third grade), the Oyster Education Program (sixth grade), and Box of Rain (underserved youth 8-15 years of age).
AMM seeks an Education Director to grow the museum’s Education Center and to coordinate and manage all operations of its onsite and outreach programming. The Education Director will supervise the Camp Director, the School Program Manager, and the Outreach Program Manager to ensure that all programmatic and departmental goals are achieved. with a vision to grow the quality and quantity of all programs, build and leverage strategic community partenrships, and achieve the organization’s ambitious strategic plan.
This is a full-time permanent position, reporting directly to the President/CEO and serves to develop goals and objectives to grow the department and the Education Center. Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits options available.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of the Education Center, which currently consists of three staff and seasonal contractors
- Responsible for all departmental budgeting including maximizing revenue and management of expenses
- Collaborate, plan and communicate with key partners, including Anne Arundel County Public Schools to build and enhance all programs
- Facilitate long-term planning with museum Board of Directors and with the support of the Education Center staff and the Education Advisory Committee
- Consult with environmental and educational experts to maintain relevancy of the program and ensure program content aheres to changing curriculum requirements
- Ensure professionional development opportunities and learning for Education Center staff and teacher professional development regarding best practices and educational trends
- Identify funders and opportunities to support programming efforts in conjunction with AMM’s Development department
- Meet or exceed budgeted grant goals to fund Center programs
- Observe, participate, and evaluate education field programs throughout the year
- Work with Marketing Coordinator to ensure external communication of the all program highlights and accomplishments through presentations and earned media (web, e-newsletters, and press releases)
- Research and design curricular and instructional materials and design and implement teacher training workshops
- Attend Board Meetings and coordinate Education Advisory Committee meetings
Skills and Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in environmental science, biology, ecology, or education is preferred
- At least five years of teaching experience and experience in a leadership or management position is required
- Experience researching, writing, and fulfilling federal and community grants
- Excellent verbal communication skills, high energy, and enthusiasm
- Flexibility and the ability to problem-solve
- Innovative, creative, passionate, and motivated
- Maintain the high standards and quality of the Education Center programs
- Ability to pass a background check and become certified in CPR, First Aid, Kayak Instruction, and Water safety rescue
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions and on weekends and holidays as needed
- Knowledge of Chesapeake Bay ecology and environmental issues facing the Bay preferred
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Caitlin Swaim, Curator
Deadline: February 28, 2021
To learn more about the museum visit www.amaritime.org