Echoes Of Nature is a non-profit environmental, educational business that works with live animal ambassadors. Our native and non-native ambassadors are adopted from shelters and rescues. We currently have over 100 ambassadors. We work with mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, and invertebrates. We have been in business since 2002 and a non-profit since 2010.
Our future goals include having a facility where visitors can also come to our location to enjoy exhibits, school programs, family programs, and special events. This will also expand our staffing and animal ambassador roster. Currently we go to our client and partner sites to provide programs for ages 2 through middle school, some high school, senior centers, and family programming. Our programs align with the early childhood standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and Maryland Common Core Standards. We also provide enriching programs for families and senior centers. We also have after-school programs, scout programs, summer camps and in-house field trips at client locations. We also participate in community events where we showcase a variety of animals to people of all ages.
We are looking to hire an enthusiastic and responsible applicant(s) for a part time Educational Instructor and/or Animal Care position. This can be a dual position which includes presenting programs at schools, day cares, adult centers, and community events as well as animal care of our animal ambassadors. We are also looking to fill position(s) in just animal care or education instructor.
Echoes Of Nature is based in Bowie MD and our programs are conducted throughout much of the state. Programs involve presenting live animals and are hands-on with a focus toward helping children and adults to develop awareness, appreciation, and stewardship for the natural world. Presentations would include after-school clubs and weekends. There is a strong potential for this position to increase with hours. We run summer camps at partner locations. At this time, we cannot offer health insurance or other such benefits. We have some flexibility in scheduling hours to work with other commitments, such as classes or other work. Send resume and cover letter to EUzzo@EchoesOfNature.org
- Teach environmental education programs to groups of school children, scouts, birthday parties, adults and those with special needs. This includes all aspects of programming, including set up, clean up, evaluation, and follow up. Programs take place at off-site locations (client’s location) and possible virtual programs.
- Learn our environmental education curriculum and implement the purpose, goals and objectives of each program.
- Help to develop new programs.
- Prepare and maintain program curriculum materials.
- Create a safe, fun, learning atmosphere for children while projecting a knowledgeable & confident image to parents and teachers.
- Animal care of live animal ambassadors.
- Interacting with and training volunteers for animal care, animal enrichment or at nature tables.
- Communicate EON’s mission and project a helpful and positive attitude when interacting with the public, including EON members, teachers, and group leaders in person & on the phone. Position includes some administrative support.
- Bachelor’s degree or pursuing a degree in natural science, environmental education, or related field preferred but not required.
- Experience not required, but prefer at least 1-2 years prior experience in environmental education, outdoor education, or early childhood education.
- Knowledge of and passion for the natural world, with a desire to learn additional natural history information.
- Enthusiasm for working with children and adults.
- Ability to lift and move up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable handling or learning to handle reptiles, amphibians, mammals, invertebrates and birds of prey (training provided).
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well in front of an audience, on the phone, and in writing.
- Ability to operate common office equipment, a PC and related software. E-mail and internet access in order to check updates and program information on a regular basis.
- Willingness to work irregular hours.
- Currently eligible to work in the USA.
- Valid Driver’s license and reliable car are required.
- $15/hour training period with $16/hour once training period completed (vary with level of experience and speed of completing training), pay increases with performance of individual beyond the training period.