Environmental Concern Native Plant Nursery: Facilities/Nursery Worker
Environmental Concern Inc.
May 22, 2020
Environmental Concern’s (EC) nursery specializes in propagating and growing true native plants of the Mid-Atlantic region for EC’s restoration projects, and for the wholesale & retail markets. Located in St. Michaels, MD for 48 years, the nursery is seeking a full-time Facilities/Nursery Worker to join the EC team.
This position will require daily oversight of the basic maintenance and repair of greenhouses; plumbing and irrigation; equipment/power tools; and mechanical installations. Basic training of staff on safe and proper operation and use of equipment is also required.
In addition to the facilities-related work, there is also a plant-related component to this position. The staff person will assist with pest management and treatment planning, and pesticide application and application record-keeping. General duties will also include seed-sowing, seed collecting and processing, plant propagation, plant inventory assistance and transplanting; plant culture: watering, weeding, pruning/cutting-back; pulling, packaging, and delivering orders;and customer assistance. This list is not all inclusive. This is a 40-hour per week position. The staff person will report to the Nursery Manager.
Successful Performance Requirements
This position is physically demanding. The staff person will be working the majority of the day outside or in a greenhouse. A good candidate can tolerate the following: getting dirty every day; working in hot, cold, and wet conditions; being in close proximity to insects and amphibians (commonly found in the nursery); bending, squatting, and lifting (30+ lbs.); and repetitive tasks for extended periods, year-round. Sound reasoning and good judgement are required. Flexibility and tolerance to daily changes in schedules and tasks (due to weather and unscheduled events) is a must.
- Education: high school diploma.
- Experience: at least one year of prior work in facilities installation, maintenance, and repair (preferably in the horticulture industry); and growing and maintaining of plants.
- Skills: basic computations, verbal & written communications, Microsoft Suite operations (willing to train), equipment use (tractor, skid loader, etc.) and maintenance, power tools use and maintenance, basic computer use, basic plumbing, electrical and/or mechanical work.
- Certifications: pesticide applicator’s license and CPR/First Aid training, or willingness/ability to acquire both within six months of hire date.
Start times vary from 6:00 AM to 8 AM depending on the time of year. Current work days are Monday – Friday. (weekend hours might apply in the future during plant sales, special events, emergency repairs, etc.)
- Dependable transportation and a valid driver’s license with no restrictions.
- Proof that applicant is legally authorized to work in the United States.
- At least 2 recent job references.
- At least 10 paid holidays per year
- 10 vacation days(accrue each month); 15 days after 5 years
- Five sick/safe days annually
- Individual health insurance for employee (company pays ½ of monthly premium)
- Short term disability
- Life insurance
- 401K retirement plan (company match of up to 5%)
Commensurate with relevant education and experience.
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.