Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. We all thrive outdoors. We encourage lifelong engagement with the natural world through environmental learning and green living. At Irvine, we inspire people to explore, respect and protect nature.
This internship is UNPAID, but eligible for academic or course credit if approved by your educational institution. Irvine Nature Center seeks motivated, creative, enthusiastic, and organized interns to prepare for and lead hands-on, outdoor environmental education programs for school-aged (preK-12) children. Intern will be trained to implement science-based lesson plans and will learn local natural history and outdoor education techniques. Other general duties include assisting with live animal care and presentations, leading trail hikes, supervising students, and post-field trip clean up.
• Undergraduate student (2nd year or later) majoring in education, biology or related field
• Work experience with children, grades preK-12th
• Strong interest in both education and the natural world
• Familiarity with (or enthusiasm to learn) a variety of environmental education activities
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to walk up to two miles on trails
• Your own transportation
Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education, with strong interest/experience in Outdoor Education OR Natural Sciences, Environmental Science, or Wildlife Biology with interest/experience working with children
• 10-15 hours per week
• Must have availability between 8:00 am – 1:00 pm either two or three weekdays each week
• Monday-Friday (but not every day)
• MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR REQUIRED TRAINING DATES—August 30 and 31, 2022
• Work closely with team of Naturalists to supervise environmental field trips for school groups
• Learn about flora & fauna of the region through hands-on activities and time outdoors
TO APPLY: Please fill out the Volunteer Application on our website at https://www.explorenature.org/get-involved/volunteer/ before sending your resume and three references to our Volunteer Coordinator, Maggie Winkler, at WinklerM@ExploreNature.org.