Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.
This internship is UNPAID, but eligible for academic or course credit if approved by your educational institution. Volunteers and interns in The Nature Preschool at Irvine serve as teaching aides to help facilitate nature-based play and investigation in an environment that values hands-on learning, taking risks, and getting muddy.
Per our licensing agreement all volunteers must comply with State regulations including submitting to a full background check and completing a medical exam, attend an orientation, and participate in periodic preschool staff meetings and events.
• Provide general assistance to the two classroom teachers of a group of 14 children, ages 3-5 yrs old
• Use verbal and hand over hand assistance to coach child with self-help skills
• Facilitate social interaction and cooperation
• Model and engage in play with children (when invited), climb alongside, and read to children
• Observe students’ learning and play to share with educators
• Model safe and healthy risk analysis, adventurous play, and curiosity during outdoor exploration
• Assist with set-up of materials and clean up
• Interns also collaborate with the Preschool staff and Director in completing a project to benefit the Preschool and its students or families.
• Experience and/or strong desire to work with children ages 3-5 years old
• Trust in children’s abilities and a willingness to step back and let them take the lead
• Enthusiasm and curiosity about the natural world
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Strong communications skills
• Positive attitude and professional demeanor
• Capable and comfortable hiking outdoors for up to two miles in all weather
• Your own transportation
• Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required (or approved medical or religious waiver)
• Variable depending on The Nature Preschool needs. However, a schedule that allows for 8:30-12:30 or 8:30-2:30 2-5 times a week is ideal.
• Please note, preschool classes are in session 8:30-2pm only with the majority of the exciting learning and exploration wrapping up by 1pm. Interns should be available 8:30-12 to gain the most from the experience.
• Minimum time commitment is 6 hours/week.
• Maximum is 30 hours/week.
• Must commit to a full semester (Sep. – Dec. or Jan.-May) or for a full school year (Sep.-May).
TO APPLY: Please fill out the Volunteer Application on our website at https://www.explorenature.org/get-involved/volunteer/ before sending your resume and three references to our Volunteer Coordinator, Maggie Winkler, at WinklerM@ExploreNature.org.