Title: CO- P0170 – Environmental Justice Coordinator
Hiring Range: $50,811 – $86,625
Agency: Dept of Environmental Quality
Location: Dept of Environmental Quality
Agency Website: www.deq.virginia.gov
Recruitment Type: General Public – G
The Environmental Justice Act of 2020 calls for “the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of every person, regardless of race, color, national origin, income, faith, or disability, regarding the development, implementation, or enforcement of any environmental laws, regulations, and policies.” In support of the DEQ’s Office of Environmental Justice, the agency is seeking qualified applicants for the Environmental Justice Coordinator position, which will provide active outreach and community engagement in environmental justice and fence-line communities.
The Environmental Justice Coordinator will be responsible for creating meaningful community involvement and engagement in the assigned service areas. The position will collaborate with stakeholders to address environmental health challenges, provide public outreach and community engagement, and serve as a liaison between communities and the Department of Environmental Quality. This position will promote agency messaging through various communications channels including social media networks. The position will also partner with DEQ’s Communications Division and Program Managers to produce targeted outreach materials. The person selected for this role will be instrumental in assisting the DEQ Environmental Justice staff in the research of policies and procedures to recommend how to incorporate environmental justice principles into the DEQ decision-making process.
This job posting will serve to fill two(2) positions. One position will cover the Piedmont Region (Glen Allen) and the other position will cover the Southwest (Abingdon), Blue Ridge (Lynchburg and Roanoke), and Valley (Harrisonburg) Regions.
– Demonstrated ability in preparing and presenting complex information in written and oral form for multiple audiences.
– Highly developed interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide variety of agency staff (including leadership) and diverse stakeholders on a broad range of environmental topics and issues.
– Demonstrated ability to research, write, and edit materials such as website content, brochures, presentations, and speeches, feature stories, and other printed materials.
– Demonstrated ability and experience creating content for different audiences and in varying formats.
– Experience translating technical language and industry jargon into plain language.
– Experience working with Office Suite and Google products.
– Some knowledge in campaign creation and management and/or project management.
– Self-starter with self-discipline to work offsite
– Good judgement, ability to explain an unpopular position, experience responding to emotions and conflicts
– Customer service skills
– Graduation from an accredited college or university with major studies in the Liberal or Science Arts. Equivalent training/experience may substitute for a degree.
– GIS or GIS-related experience
– Skills in mediation, and training in risk management
– Fluency in another language
– Experience working with sensitive information
– Outreach skills
You will be provided a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your account to check the status of your application for this position.
Please Read Carefully:
The Commonwealth of Virginia welcomes all applicants authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not provided; therefore, applicants must be a citizen or national of the U.S., a Lawful Permanent Resident, or an alien authorized to work.
Excluding current DEQ Employees, selected candidates for employment MUST pass a criminal background check. A valid driver’s license is required of all DEQ employees in order to operate a state-owned or leased vehicle.
The Application Process: Individuals desiring to be considered for this position must submit a completed employment application or you may attach a resume before the position’s closing date. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to be specific regarding job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applications submitted via postal mail, email, or fax will not be considered.
DEQ Values Veterans: DEQ is a proud member of the Commonwealth of Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Program, authorized under the Code of Virginia (§2.2-2001.2). We are committed to recruiting, hiring, and retaining qualified Veterans and their spouses. Veterans who are hired into state positions may be eligible for additional leave accruals based on their total years of service in the military, National Guard or Reserve. For more information please visit: https://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/employeebenefits
Our Commitment: DEQ is an equal opportunity employer by both policy and practice. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive work environment with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. It is DEQ’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination. DEQ will provide if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. If any assistance is needed, please contact DEQ Human Resources Office at 804-698-4000.
Name: Ayswarya Renjith