|JOB TITLE: Environmental Outreach Coordinator
|FULL TIME or PART TIME: Full Time
|REGULAR or TEMPORARY: Regular
|REPORTS TO: Program Manager
|The Education Coordinator works with the Program Team to implement environmental education programs through the Alice Ferguson Foundation. This can include on-site programs, off-site and virtual programs for youth ranging from kindergarten through college. Some adult education classes could also be included. These programs focus on Meaningful Watershed Educational Experiences (MWEE) that help youth understand habitats, watersheds, climate change, invasive species and other environmental topics. Coordinator will also assist in curriculum development. It is beneficial if the candidate is already well versed in these topics.
The Education Coordinator works along with the other members of the education team to organize, communicate and manage details of field trips, workshops, teacher training, education materials, curriculum etc. Coordinator assists with summer camp and children’s garden.
The Coordinator will be asked to assist in the writing and implementation of grants and maintaining proper records for reporting and financial accountability. The Coordinator will assist with maintaining and updating relevant sections of the website through WordPress.
The Coordinator will be the primary contact for the Potomac River Watershed Cleanup. This project entails promoting and marketing the program, training and communicating with site leaders, managing the website and providing education programs. Marketing, promotion, and social media campaigns skills are required. Coordinator responsible for planning and organizing several Cleanup events per year. Coordinator will maintain data gained from cleanups and communicate data and findings. The coordinator will seek ways to collaborate with other organizations involved in litter cleanup.
- Responsible for marketing, promotion, and coordinator Potomac River Watershed Cleanup.
- Organize several cleanup events for AFF and corporate sponsors.
- Teach environmental education programs onsite, virtually, in schools and in national parks.
- Assist with the AFF website using WordPress.
- Create social media campaigns, promotion and marketing materials.
- Conduct environment and litter education through public presentations.
- Write and manage grants and grant reporting.
- Identify and ensure alignment of educational programming to academic standards.
- Implement consistent, need-driven evaluation tools across educational programming.
- Develop, write, and pilot new or revised curricula for AFF educational endeavors.
- Execute and/or support teacher professional development training summer institutes.
- Teach, support and lead summer camp programs either in person or virtually.
- Maintain inventory of equipment and supplies, keeping them organized and in good working order.
- Help with education program administrative needs.
- Represent AFF at meetings, networking and outreach
- Identify and recruit key stakeholder groups including elected officials, agency staff, houses of worship, businesses, schools, and youth groups in each community.
- Help with facilities needs as requested.
- Participate in special events: members’ events and other AFF-sponsored events as needed.
- Actively participate in staff development, including staff meetings and training..
- Maintains safety of visitors and animals.
- Assist supervisor, other teams/programs or Executive Director as needed.
|SCOPE OF WORK
|Work is highly physical and active, conducted mainly outdoors in all types of weather. Must possess the ability to lift upwards of 50 lbs.
|KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as environmental science, environmental science communication, education, communication, or solid waste management.
- Understand and teach ecological concepts, have basic environmental knowledge and familiarity with the Potomac River Watershed area.
- Demonstrated ability to create social media campaigns and other marketing and promotional materials.
- Demonstrated skill in teaching environmental programs, communication and public speaking.
- Demonstrated strong project management skills with ability to prioritize various responsibilities, with a focus on outcomes.
- Demonstrated collaborative and networking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team-based structure, with flexibility under shifting deadlines.
- Ability to use a variety of online tools and platforms including Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, Schoology, Google Drive, WordPress etc.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and through writing, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Bi-lingual Spanish fluency is a plus.
- CPR and First Aid Training or ability to get trained.
- Demonstrate and enforce safe handling techniques for farm animals is a plus.
- Knowledge of safe use of equipment such as hay wagon and tractor. is a plus.
- Access to a reliable vehicle and the ability to travel locally and/or regionally.
- Ability to work periodic nights and weekends.
- Follow AFF protocols and safety guidelines for COVID-19.
Professional Standards of Conduct
- Exhibit teamwork and cooperation by sharing knowledge, coordinating duties with other staff, and demonstrating the willingness to assist others as needed.
- Exhibit leadership by taking initiative, mentoring and problem-solving.
- Dress appropriately, use time wisely and meet deadlines.
- Treat staff members, students, teachers, partners and visitors with courtesy and respect.
- Initiate and respond positively to suggestions for improving service.
- Maintain AFF facilities and educational equipment, including inventories and equipment stored offsite in parks or elsewhere.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing, including field study reports, data collection, newsletter articles, website and other documents. Assist in documenting AFF activities via digital images and video.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- Promote and support the values and mission of AFF in all outreach and visitor contact.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Minorities / Female / Disabled / Veteran
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.