Job Title Environmental Program Specialist I
Location Henrico, VA, US
Organization Name County of Henrico Department of Public Works
Closing Date Monday, October 11, 2021
This position assists with oversight of stream restoration and other environmental construction projects.
The following knowledge, abilities and skills are required:
- knowledge of stormwater management principles and practices and erosion-control principles and practices;
- knowledge of stream restoration design and construction principles and practices;
- knowledge of construction methods and techniques;
- knowledge of common methods and equipment used in engineering construction and of inspection methods used in reviewing such work;
- knowledge of the principles and practices of contract procurement and management;
- strong oral and written communication skills;
- knowledge of federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations as well as sustainability concepts and best management practices;
- knowledge of watershed management, wetlands, flood plains, and other environmental laws and issues relevant to land development, use and management within the County;
- knowledge of personal computers and/or automated systems with the ability to enter, maintain, retrieve, analyze and report technical data clearly and concisely and to use common office software and department specific software and systems to accurately compile and maintain Division-specific data and provide detailed reports;
- ability to review construction documents, designs and proposals for costs, design requirements and compatibility (compliance) with County standards, guides and applicable state and federal requirements;
- ability to multitask and effectively manage competing priorities and make sound decisions;
- ability to accurately and consistently interpret and apply complex laws, regulations and policies; ability to lead, manage and partner effectively;
- ability to research, collect and maintain data, consider and weigh a variety of factors in making decisions or recommendations;
- ability to synthesize multiple types of complex data and produce easily understood reports and other materials;
- ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing to diverse audiences of stakeholders including but not limited to County Officials, County employees at all levels, engineers, developers, contractors, landowners, regulatory agencies’ personnel, and citizens;
- ability to positively and appropriately represent the County at the local, state and federal levels;
- ability to work a flexible schedule with the ability to travel as assigned;
- Excellent negotiation skills;
- ability to work independently;
- sound judgment with critical thinking and problem solving skills with the ability to cost effectively and appropriately resolve complex issues and ensure ongoing compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws;
- supervisory skills including the ability to effectively manage workloads and projects and to foster and maintain high morale and engagement;
- physical condition that permits activities including but not limited to walking long distances, climbing, bending, driving and working under adverse temperatures and/or weather conditions as needed to perform assigned duties and access diverse environmental locations Countywide;
- personal accountability including teamwork and establishing and maintaining positive relationships with a diverse community of internal and external stakeholders, customers and colleagues; excellent customer service skills, tact, and courtesy.
Four (4) year degree in a relevant field, preferably in an engineering field from a college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies and some previous relevant environmental management experience at a local, state or federal level preferred; may OR any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
A criminal history record check and fingerprinting is conducted on all persons conditionally offered employment, including a conditional offer of initial employment, or a conditional offer to promote, demote, or laterally transfer an employee.
Requires possession of a valid driver’s license and the selected candidate must obtain state issued stormwater and erosion and sediment control inspection certifications within one year of employment start date.
How To Apply
Closing Date: This position closes on Monday, October 11, 2021.
You apply for positions with Henrico County general government through our on-line applicant system, which is available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week with an Internet connection. Please access our job site portal through https://henrico.us/services/jobs or click on the Jobs link in the upper right hand corner of our main County page at https://henrico.us.
Minimum Salary $54,405
Maximum Salary $100,080
Employment Status Permanent Fulltime