CITY OF HYATTSVILLE
ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAMS COORDINATOR
FLSA: NON-EXEMPT, GRADE 112 FULL TIME AND BENEFIT ELIGIBLE
NO RELOCATION FUNDS AVAILABLE
Salary Range: $50,426 to $60,231 (commensurate with experience)
Nature of the Position
Performs professional and technical work coordinating the implementation of environmental
programs along with the Environmental Programs Manager who will coordinate the work of this
position, as well as compliance with applicable federal and state laws related to environmental issues
throughout the City of Hyattsville. The work requires utilizing a pro-active approach, promoting
awareness of environmental principles while working with citizens, schools, local, state, and national
organizations, city advisory boards and committees, volunteers, and others active in environmental
The following is intended as illustrations of the type of work to be performed. The omission of specific
duties will not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment
for the position and the city in its sole discretion reserves the right to modify the duties of the position.
• Assists in developing and implementing policies, programs, and partnerships that protect the
natural environment and promote the city’s environmental initiatives.
• Assists in developing and managing new environmental standards and regulations.
• Assists in the development and review of appropriate policies to guide environmental initiatives.
• Assist citizens with questions and issues regarding the environment.
• Assists with planning and coordination of volunteers and provides operational support for
City-wide events related to sustainability and the environment such as Earth Day, America Recycles
Day, and Lake Cleanups.
• Assists with the creation of brochures, mailings, press releases and informational materials for
citizens and local publications.
• As requested, may represent the city at meetings of local, regional, and occasionally national
• Attends seminars and training relevant to the environment and advises staff of items of interest.
• Assists in the preparation of grant opportunities and the compilation of supporting documentation.
• Assists with public outreach efforts and public education programs dealing with sustainability and
environmental issues, develops and disseminates educational materials.
• Assists with various automated systems for tracking and maintaining inventory. Identifies
discrepancies and assists in resolving issues. Provides data analysis and reports as needed.