Event Coordinator – Environmental Law Institute (Washington, D.C.)
August 31, 2021
Are you a skilled event planner well versed in technology and looking to effect positive change in this world? If so, the Environmental Law Institute may have the perfect job for you. ELI is looking for a highly organized and skilled Event Coordinator to help us fulfill our mission of fostering innovative, just, and practical law and policy solutions to enable leaders across borders and sectors to make environmental, economic, and social progress. While the Event Coordinator will engage with the entire staff of ELI, the coordinator’s primary focus will be on producing ELI’s major events including the annual ELI Award Dinner as a hybrid event in 2021, the GreenTech 2021 webinar series and the 2022 hybrid Conference, and a hybrid Wetlands Awards event in 2022 along with a digital campaign.
Since 1969, ELI has played a pivotal role in shaping the fields of environmental law, policy, and management, domestically and abroad. ELI is an internationally recognized, non-partisan research and education center working to strengthen environmental protection by improving law and governance worldwide.
Given the Covid-19 public health emergency and ELI’s commitment to prioritizing the health and wellness of its employees, this position will initially be teleworking only. However, once ELI resumes a normal in-office staff presence which is scheduled to take place after Labor Day, this position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
At least 50% of time to be spent on coordinating GreenTech. Remaining time to be spent on other ELI events. Responsibilities include:
- Development of marketing material using tools such as Canva and active outreach via email, phone and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn)
- Managing databases of potential partners, sponsors, speakers and event mailing lists
- Maintain website updates on platforms such as Squarespace and using tools such as Drupal and basic HTML.
- Respond to inquiries and questions sourced via the website and social media in a timely manner.
- Provide technological support in all our web platforms such as GoTo, Zoom, Remo, Skype and others
- Collaborate with external and internal committee members during planning meetings and take detailed notes and report out on planning activities
- Own end to end webinar operations including scheduling, tech-tests with panelists, day of execution, trouble shooting and post event reporting.
- Coordinate logistical tasks for an in-person event in 2022 (i.e. venue, catering, speaker & exhibitor logistics)
- Event production, including managing registrations, event walk through, tech oversight etc.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The Environmental Law Institute is collaborative by nature and you must be able to interact in a professional manner with people from diverse racial, ethnic, political, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We employ anti-racist practices and principles while striving to support ELI’s culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. Other skills needed but not limited to include:
- Baseline knowledge of, or interest in, environmental law and policy
- Strong event planning, outreach, and marketing skills, especially in the area of remote webinars and hybrid events.
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to simultaneously plan and manage multiple projects
- Superb attention to detail and ability to reliably adhere to deadlines
- Strong communication skills including writing, social media, and verbal communication
- Deep knowledge of virtual event platforms such as GoTo, Zoom, Remo, etc.
- Accurate and reliable data entry skills
- Proficiency with standard office software, including Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated ability to:
- represent ELI publicly in a manner consistent with our mission and values
- manage projects effectively and efficiently while producing high-quality deliverables
- collaborate effectively with others
- effectively manage multiple projects and establish priorities with moderate supervision
- willingness to take on other tasks as needed
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree or equivalent experience: Bachelors or equivalent degree
- Years of experience: One or more years in event planning/coordination
$45,000 – $50,000 annual salary, commensurate with experience. Includes excellent benefits such as:
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employer paid life insurance & disability insurance
- Long Term Care insurance
- Pre-tax transportation benefit
- Fitness Incentive
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Account with employer match
- Paid time off
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND DEADLINE
Interested candidates can apply online through ELI’s application portal by visiting https://www.eli.org/employment. Note that your submission must contain the following uploaded documents (Word or PDF format), as follows:
- Cover letter, addressing your personal goals and interests, as well as your experience and interest in carrying out the duties outlined above.
- Current resume
Applications must be submitted no later than August 31, 2021. You must use ELI’s online application system; ELI cannot accept applications submitted by email, USPS or other shipping service, or hand delivery. No phone calls, please.
ELI is an equal opportunity employer firmly committed to achieving an inclusive, diverse workforce that values every individual. We firmly believe that hiring individuals with varying perspectives and backgrounds contributes to our success as an organization, and we strive to create an environment that fosters inclusiveness. As such, minority candidates and candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.