Events and Promotions Coordinator- Chesapeake Bay Foundation
July 12, 2019
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks an Events and Promotions Coordinator to be based at its Philip Merrill Environmental Center headquarters located in Annapolis, MD.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established in 1967, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 190 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $26 million and is supported by more than 275,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Events & Promotions Coordinator plays a key role in events and promotions supporting the efforts of the Development department, from cultivation and stewardship events for donors, to promotional ventures with corporate partners, to large-scale celebration and fundraising events. This position assists the Development department in bringing donors and members into the CBF family and keeping our relationships strong by thanking them, educating them, and engaging them.
The position will require local and some regional travel.
Essential functions include:
- Coordinates third-party promotional opportunities, including peer-to-peer fundraising and commercial co-ventures
- Serves as the main point of contact for CBF’s peer-to-peer fundraising program;
- Provides prospects with information and support needed to successfully launch and reach their fundraising goals
- Identifies, cultivates, and solicits new relationships to meet revenue goals
- Researches and identifies opportunities for promotional relationships and commercial co-ventures, making recommendations on potential opportunities
- Assists in the evaluation of promotional opportunities and commercial co-ventures, providing logistical support associated with these relationships
- Events Coordination
- Maximizes fundraising by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting new relationships to meet event revenue goals
- Assists in the planning and management of logistical details for fundraising events and donor stewardship events, as needed
- Hires and supervises event contractors, as appropriate
- Maintains a portfolio of vendors, mail shops, caterers, speakers, event contractors and other event resources, including past contractual arrangements
- Coordinates with facilities managers, outside vendors, and CBF staff to ensure liability issues are addressed and minimized
- Tracks expenses and revenue as related to the events budget
- Provides on-site event support such as registration, greeting vendors, caterers, etc.
- Closes out each event appropriately, preparing necessary data for an evaluation on ROI and cost-benefit analysis
- Generates event invoices and creates and tracks acknowledgements as necessary
- Provides consultative services to other CBF departments on CBF-wide events when needed and educates and supports various departments and state offices with respect to event guidelines
- Assists, as needed, with leadership meetings (trustee meetings and retreats, committee meetings, etc.)
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s degree in related field or appropriate experience with two to three years of fundraising experience. Nonprofit experience a plus. Candidate is results driven, has excellent interpersonal skills, highly organized, flexible and a self-starter able to exercise independent judgment. Attention to detail and excellent written and oral communication skills are essential. Knowledge of Development department functions, and CBF’s mission and work preferable. Proficiency in computer systems and MS Office software required.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter through job posting on CBF website no later than July 12, 2019.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred retirement plan.
CBF encourages diverse candidates to apply and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.