The Chesapeake Bay Trust seeks an Executive Assistant/Office Manager for our Annapolis, MD, location to provide executive support and lead daily administrative and building operations. This role reports to the President but provides support to all departments.
Established in 1985, the Chesapeake Bay Trust is a non-profit, grant-making institution dedicated to promoting public awareness and participation in the restoration and protection of the natural resources of Maryland and the Chesapeake Bay region. The Trust currently allocates grant funds through more than 400 awards per year to entities who apply through open, competitive calls for proposals as well as programs such as the Chesapeake Conservation Corps.
This person will be a key member of a high-energy, interactive, collaborative, team-oriented thirty-person staff who work diligently to advance the Trust’s mission and daily consider the Trust’s core values of grantee focus, accountability and transparency, inclusiveness, collaboration, and innovation. This is a full-time, salaried position (40 hours per week). A successful person in this role will be able to independently identify what is needed to keep the Trust running and take initiative to problem solve and advance the Trust in serving its mission. This person should have strong executive presence but also not be afraid to roll up his/her/their sleeves.
- Provide administrative support for the President, including scheduling legislative and donor meetings, preparing materials for legislative meetings, and managing logistics for on-site meetings;
- Assist with onboarding new board members including orientation and website updates;
- Assist with logistics for full board meetings and meetings of committees of the board, including organizing and emailing board materials, organizing meeting venues and site visits/tours, and preparing board meeting minutes;
- Develop presentations, analytics and reporting for the President, as needed;
- During Maryland’s legislative session, perform daily scans of new pieces of legislation for certain search terms and summarize findings for the President;
- Lead bimonthly all-hands Trust staff meetings;
- Support all-hands Trust staff activities, such as retreats, trainings, team building exercises, and celebrations;
- Organize and lead the Trust’s internal Organizational Culture Committee.
- Manage updates to webpage for Trust staff and leadership
- Manage building and property to ensure that the campus and its facilities are properly organized, supplied, maintained, and otherwise running smoothly, Example activities that may be required include arranging for plumbers, electricians, or other contractors to resolve unpredicted issues; developing systems for keeping common areas clean and organized (paper in the copier, supplies in the restrooms; kitchen area presentable in the event of donor pop-in visits); coordinating with landscaper for lawn mowing and similar maintenance tasks. This set of tasks will require a balancing efficiency with our value of fiscal responsibility: Some tasks will require external contractors/service professionals. Others will be able to be accomplished by the person in this position without incurring the expense of external assistance.
- Serve as independent lead on maintaining and purchasing inventory of all office supplies;
- Manage third party vendor contracts for work to support building operations, including providing oversight and direction to such vendors and receiving and approving all office-related vendor bills and submitting to Finance for payment;
- Serve as independent lead on maintaining office equipment including printer/copier/scanner service, postage machine, water cooler, telephone system in conjunction with vendors, as needed
- Reconcile and code corporate credit card used for office expenses;
- Ensure office is presentable for donors and other visitors at all times;
- Manage logistics for all onsite meetings including tracking attendance, greeting guests, setting up/breaking down, catering, and coordinating other rentals and services
- Provide support for organizational calendars used for various purposes such as conference room and zoom reservations
- For Fiscal Year 2024 only, providing support to the President on the Green Campus Construction Project (cbtrust.org/ripplingeffects), to include getting the campus ready for the construction project (both direct work and hiring contractors).
Support for Finance and Administration Team:
- Open and distribute Trust mail on a daily basis
- Lead, under managed IT vendor guidance, both routine and troubleshooting tasks that require on-site presence such as back-up tape management and restarting machines/servers
- Serve as lead of physical IT aspects, e.g., purchasing/disposing of computers, telephones, and other technology equipment and assigning/reassigning computer and telephone equipment to staff and common areas,
- Provide oversight and direction to third party vendors that support building technology
- Assist finance department with Accounts Payable weekly check disbursements, as needed
- Serve as backup to deposit checks received to bank via remote deposit
- High degree of proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of programs (especially Outlook, Word and Excel) and other office applications such as Zoom, MS Teams, Adobe
- Ability to tackle multiple tasks in a timely and effective manner
- Ability and willingness to be responsive to unexpected tasks that can be immediate in nature, requiring prioritization skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. The right candidate must be exceptionally thorough and detail orientated
- Ability to anticipate issues and problem-solve independently
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and in team settings in an office environment
- Personal vehicle or access to a vehicle/transportation and valid driver’s license to support office operations or events, as needed
Salary: The range for this position is $60,000-$75,000, commensurate with experience, with excellent benefits package including a professional development budget. A successful candidate with experience in only some of the responsibilities listed above will be offered a starting salary at the lower end of this range. A successful candidate will be considered at a higher starting salary level based on experience in most or all of the responsibilities listed above.
Link to Apply: https://cbaytrust.bamboohr.com/careers/31?source=aWQ9MjM%3D
Application Instructions and Deadline: The position will remain open until filled. Please send a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter is the most important piece of your application: In your cover letter, please address your ability to accomplish the duties of the position as listed above. Please do not simply list your previous experience. Your cover letter should describe what makes you a strong match specifically for this position, and why this position is a match for you.