The Severn River Association (SRA) is looking for a visionary, strategic, and collaborative leader with a proven record of forging lasting relationships with diverse stakeholders, experience managing an organization, and demonstrated fundraising skills.
The SRA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit laser focused on improving the health of the Severn River. After 105 years as an all volunteer organization, SRA hired their first paid staff member in 2017 and as a result has seen material improvements in river protection and restoration. In 2021 a comprehensive strategic roadmap was developed including a vision for A Thriving Severn River by 2050 and a mission to Engage the people who live, work and play on the Severn River to restore and protect it for all of our communities. The roadmap calls for an increase to at least three (3) paid staff in 2022 and recent fundraising has provided much of the funding to do so. Given the plans for growth, the current Executive Director is looking to take on a more programmatic role within the organization.
About the Role:
The Executive Director reports to the SRA President and Board of Directors and is responsible for:
- Building and managing relationships with environmental leaders, strategic partners, donors, the board, and the staff.
- Serving as the “public face” of the SRA and representing the organization in meetings, public forums, conferences, and other public events.
- Implementing the Strategic Roadmap including the provision of long-range and day-to-day strategic insights. Initiate future long-range strategic planning.
- Ensuring ongoing programmatic excellence, including design & implementation.
- Advocating for science-based, river-friendly policies, programs, laws, and regulations.
- Fundraising, including through personal cultivation and direct solicitation of both individual donors, foundations, and other funders.
- Efficient and effective management and mentorship of staff.
- Management of all operations and systems, including a budget of over $1 million.
- Ensuring operations comply with all governing laws and regulations.
- Proven strategic leadership and ability to engage partners, stakeholders, and funders.
- At least 3 years of experience in a leadership position managing staff and budget.
- Inclusive and empathetic leadership style. Patient and clear-eyed under pressure and when working with passionate voices.
- Experience with direct solicitation of major donors and grant writing
- Passionate about environmental issues, and committed to a thriving Severn River.
Preferred candidates also bring:
- Watershed Protection & Restoration experience.
- Advanced degree or experience in Environmental Science and Policy.
- Experience working with the state or county governments and legislative bodies on environmental matters.
The SRA provides competitive compensation and benefits. A starting salary of $105,000 – $130,000 and three weeks of paid vacation, are both negotiable based on experience. Benefits include: Health insurance and a retirement plan.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2022. Please send electronic copies ONLY. Hard copies will not be considered. Questions: Please contact Mark Lister at (703) 965-2353. All applicants and information received will be held in confidence. SRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.