Job Title: Explorers Educator
Blue Sky Fund is a local Richmond non-profit based in Church Hill. Our mission is to provide transformational experiences for Richmond area youth through outdoor education. We have two core program areas – academic and adventure. We are currently seeking several part-time Educators to facilitate and lead our Explorers Program during the 2023-2024 school year. For a more detailed description of our core programs, please visit our website www.blueskyfund.org.
Explorers is an experiential education that partners with 3rd – 5th grade classrooms in the Richmond Public School (RPS) system. Each partner school participates in science-based field trips in the Richmond area, focused on team-building, resilience skills, nature exploration, and positive experiences in the outdoors.
- A minimum of two years of relevant work experience is preferred.
- Academic training in education, recreation, natural resources, natural science (geology, biology), or environmental science is an advantage.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a strong experience in teaching or youth leadership, excellent communication skills, and demonstrated interest in environmental and experiential education
- Optional: Class B CDL-P (passenger endorsement) certification or willingness to be trained for Class B CDL-P certification and clean driving record
- Training in environmental communication, group management, and outdoor/experiential education best practices
- Education in Virginia natural history, Richmond history, and Richmond’s socio economic landscape
- Frequent peer and employer evaluations
- Positive work environment and engagement in the local community
- Retirement benefits with employer match (following a waiting period)
- 6 days (27 hours) of paid sick leave
- Complete Educator orientation: introduction to the job, experiential and environmental education philosophy and techniques, safety, and emergency procedures
- Attend all training sessions and Blue Sky Explorers field trips (must provide own transportation)
- Study and practice field trip material
- Lead and teach a group of upper elementary school students (grades 3-5) during each Explorers field trip
- Participate in outdoor physical activities during field trips such as (but not limited to): hiking, lifting, playing games and sports
- Represent Blue Sky Fund in a professional manner at all times, specifically acting as a positive role model for the students with whom we interact.
Job Details: Training and programming runs from September 2023 through April 2024. Time frame is generally 9 AM – 1:30 PM Tuesday through Friday. Some longer trips in Spring 2024 may extend stop time up until 2:30pm. First year educator compensation is $15/hour for approximately 18-23 hours/week..
To Apply: Please fill out an online application on our website: www.blueskyfund.org/get-involved/employment. Please include in your cover letter if you currently have a Class B CDL-P or are interested in obtaining a Class B CDL-P. If you have any questions, please contact Josh Bearman, Programs Director via email at email@example.com.
Blue Sky Fund is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace in which all participants, employees, volunteers and supporters of all genders, races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, identities, education levels, and abilities feel valued and respected.