Waterkeepers Chesapeake seeks an enthusiastic, energetic, outgoing self-starter with a passion for sustainable agriculture and environmental justice to manage its Fair Farms Campaign. The Fair Farms Campaign Manager manages all aspects of the Fair Farms Campaign and is meaningfully involved in Maryland’s environmental and sustainable agriculture communities. Whether building partnerships, participating in collaborative projects, crafting new policy or writing blog and social media posts, this position plays a critical role in shaping the future of Maryland’s food system.
This position calls for a well-rounded, strategy-minded campaign generalist with a committed passion for environmental advocacy, sustainable agriculture, and food system reform. An ideal candidate would have the ability to guide a big picture strategy while tending to the campaign details, as well as experience with grassroots organizing, managing online social networks, building and maintaining partnerships, and developing a diverse array of communications materials.
This position takes the lead in implementing and managing the Fair Farms campaign which brings together consumers, farmers, public health professionals, and conservationists to advocate for a food system that is equitable, fair to farmers, invests in homegrown healthy foods, and restores our waterways. This public education and engagement campaign, launched in December 2015, is focused on using innovative storytelling, online and direct advocacy to support policy objectives and promote consumer behaviors that will reduce agricultural pollution and promote sustainable agriculture. The Fair Farms campaign plays a key role in policy, communications and outreach in two collaborative projects focused on different aspects of sustainable agriculture.
The Campaign Manager reports to the Executive Director and works with a staff of five, plus multiple consultants and interns. The position manages the Communications and Outreach Associate’s Fair Farms communications work, and interns working on the Fair Farms campaign.
- Hold a big-picture vision for the direction of the campaign while advancing the day-to-day strategies that will accomplish the campaign goals.
- Provide critical leadership and ideas on campaign strategies and help manage our relationship with collaborative projects, partners and campaign consultants. Lead work groups and meetings with farmers and collaborative partners.
- Create outreach and community engagement strategies to reach consumers and develop new partnerships with farmers, businesses, and nonprofit organizations.
- Provides direction and input on policy development to advance goals of campaign.
- Work with Waterkeepers Chesapeake member groups to build grassroots support in their local communities for policies that reduce agricultural pollution and increase accountability and transparency.
- Actively research funding opportunities and work with Grants Manager in drafting grant proposals and reports. Work with the Grants Manager and Administrative Manager to manage reports, budget and payments for Fair Farms Campaign.
- Oversee communications and social media strategy for the campaign (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blog, email).
- Manage the production, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials, such as e-newsletters, take action alerts, factsheets, website updates and online communication.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 3 years of comparable campaign management experience.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines with a positive attitude, flexibility and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated success in working as a member of a small team and developing effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and the public.
- Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written for online and traditional venues.
- Prior knowledge about sustainable agriculture and related environmental issues
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Action Network is a plus.
- Spanish language fluency is a plus.
Waterkeepers Chesapeake is a coalition of 17 Waterkeeper programs working to make the waters of the Chesapeake and Coastal Bays swimmable and fishable. We amplify the voices of each Waterkeeper and mobilize our organizations to fight pollution and champion clean water. www.waterkeeperschesapeake.org
The position is in the Washington, DC metro area and includes telecommuting as well as shared office space in Takoma Park. MD. A car will be necessary for meetings throughout Maryland.
Salary range for this position is $55,000 – $65,000. The position is available immediately. Waterkeepers Chesapeake is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, disabled people, and transgender or gender non-conforming applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume, cover letter indicating your specific interest in this position, and a writing sample to info(at)waterkeeperschesapeake.org with Subject line = LAST NAME – Fair Farms Campaign Manager