Fairfax County, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, Urban Forest Management Division -Urban Forester I
Fairfax County, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, Urban Forest Management Division
April 26, 2019
Position #: 52002862
Schedule: 30 hours per week
Under the supervision of the Urban Forester II position within the Forest Conservation Branch, plans and implements basic forest conservation, urban forestry, landscape management and land development practices, procedures and projects.
Specific Tasks Include:
- Inspects construction sites for compliance with requirements on approved site plans relating to landscape plantings, screening, tree preservation and vegetation related to proffers and development conditions;
- Assists in final bond and escrow release inspections and under direction, prepares needed deficiency lists, correspondence and project documentation;
- Participates or leads on-site conferences and pre-construction meetings held on construction sites to resolve issues and ensure contractor compliance with the County code requirements;
- Maintains project files, computer records and computer databases. Documents time spent on various tasks and records pertinent information;
- Prepares documentation memos after on-site conferences and preconstruction meetings;
- Acts as a point of contact for developers, project arborists, landscape contractors;
- Uses GIS databases to research and understand development sites;
- Participates in public outreach, education activities and events in the preparation and dissemination of educational brochures, leaflets and other media concerning trees, urban forests and related County programs and strategic plans;
- Answers technical questions from the public, civic and homeowners associations, landscape contractors, landscape architects and designers, civil engineers, private arborists and foresters, other County agencies, the land development community, and the Board of Supervisors on forest conservation practices;
- Assists in the investigation of hazardous tree complaints pursuant to the Health and Safety Menace Code;
- Provides support for the Forest Pest Section during peak seasonal monitoring and treatment programs as needed;
- Performs other duties as may be assigned to further the goals and objectives of the Department.
Minimum Qualifications: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited two-year college with a degree in urban forestry, horticulture, environmental science, landscape design, agriculture or related field. Must possess a valid driver’s license;
Special Requirements: The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Preferred Qualifications: Arborist certification issued by the International Society of Arboriculture; any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or University with a degree in urban forestry, horticulture, environmental science, landscape architecture, agriculture or related field.
To Apply: Send a copy of your resume to:
Attn: Tiffany Thrasher
Fairfax County is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veterans’ status or disabled veterans’ status.