The Farm Assistant is responsible for providing support to the Heritage Breed Livestock Program and to Site Facilities and Grounds maintenance on the two hundred acres of Piscataway Park managed by Accokeek Foundation.
- Support the Livestock Manager with:
- Animal care to include daily feeding and watering of Heritage Breed cattle, sheep, hogs, chickens and turkeys and cleaning of livestock enclosures
- Livestock movements to include setting up and taking down temporary fences in pastures and assisting with moving animals as directed
- Assistance with keeping the Livestock Barn and surrounding area organized and clean
- Support the Facilities Coordinator with:
- Daily and weekly janitorial duties to ensure office and public spaces remain clean and disinfected
- Set up buildings for daily operations to include set up and take down of furniture and facilities for meetings and special events
- Maintain clean and tidy condition of entire site to include removal of trash and debris
- Support Groundskeeper with maintenance of open park areas and trails
- Ensure safety of visitors, volunteers, and staff by monitoring and assessing any hazardous or unsafe situations across the site and reporting observations to Site Manager
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Job Requirements):
The ideal candidate will have good interpersonal skills, be a hard worker, be enthusiastic, be a team player, be flexible and be willing to work independently. This individual is able to follow directions, is quick to learn and is detail-oriented.
Specific applicant requirements include:
- English-Spanish bilingual preferred
- Comfort around large and small animals
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of good safety and risk management practices
- Excellent understanding of good work place practices
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong ability and willingness to take initiative
- Experience with use and maintenance of large power lawn mowers and other equipment and tools associated with grounds maintenance and landscaping activities
- Proficient with use of computers and telecommunication devices and applications
- High school diploma or the equivalent
- Have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a good driving record
- Work Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work outdoors in all weather conditions, sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a part-time, non-exempt, hourly position of up to 20-30 hours per week. The starting range is $13-$15 per hour. The Accokeek Foundation provides employees a comprehensive benefits package including a flexible work schedule, paid time off, and health insurance.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter by email with the subject line “Farm Assistant” to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to: Accokeek Foundation, 3400 Bryan Point Road, Accokeek, MD 20607.