Arundel Rivers Federation seeks a full-time Field Technician to provide on-the-ground and on-the-water support for our Restoration Team and Monitoring Team throughout the field season, and assist all staff with communications, outreach, and other mission-critical tasks throughout the year.
About Arundel Rivers Federation:
The Arundel Rivers Federation is located in Edgewater, Maryland. Arundel Rivers works with communities through science-based environmental restoration, advocacy, and public policy to preserve, protect, and renew the South, West, and Rhode Rivers and associated tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. Our vision is clean, fishable, swimmable waterways for current and future generations.
Restoration Field Work – Arundel Rivers is a leader in watershed restoration across Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The Restoration Team manages the design, funding, permitting, and construction of multiple stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration projects each year. The Field Technician will assist the Director of Restoration in all aspects of restoration projects that require field work. This will include: preparing and maintaining all necessary equipment for field work; visiting construction sites on a weekly basis throughout the field season; conducting inspections of construction sites; assisting with the planting of thousands of native plants on restoration sites; visiting sites to determine their restoration potential; and organizing scientific monitoring efforts at some sites.
Monitoring Field Work – Arundel Rivers conducts weekly water quality sampling cruises across the South, West, and Rhode Rivers from April through October. These cruises provide crucial data about the health of our rivers to Chesapeake Bay scientists, the Restoration Team, and the public. The Field Technician will assist the South & West/Rhode RIVERKEEPER® in all water quality monitoring efforts throughout the field season. This will include: collecting water quality samples; maintaining water quality sampling equipment; identifying and documenting potential pollution sources and violations of environmental laws; and working with volunteer citizen scientists to collect and analyze data.
Communications and Other Essential Tasks – Arundel Rivers is a source of scientific and technical expertise on water quality and restoration efforts across our watersheds. We provide the public with critical information about these efforts through our website, newsletters, public testimony, and community outreach events. The Field Technician will assist all staff with the creation of communication products and efforts to reach out to communities and stakeholders to expand environmental awareness.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in an environmental, science, engineering, or related field preferred;
- Demonstrated experience collecting and analyzing scientific data;
- Familiarity with environmental field work or environmental restoration concepts;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with members of a team;
- Ability and passion to learn new skills;
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications;
- Familiarity with watercraft.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary range is $44,000 to $50,000 depending upon experience. The salary may increase in future years based upon the outcome of performance reviews and regional economic trends.
- Competitive, employer-provided health, dental, vision, and short and long-term disability insurance.
- SIMPLE IRA for retirement with an employer match of 3% of annual salary.
- Paid holiday, sick, and annual leave.
The successful candidate should be prepared to begin work in October 2022, or sooner.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “FIELD TECHNICIAN” in the subject title.