(Forest Hill, MD) Environmental Scientist (Senior Stream Designer) Opening – Ecotone, Inc.
Ecotone Inc. is an innovative and growing design/build ecological restoration company. We are looking for a positive, self-starting, experienced stream restoration designer to join our team. The successful candidate will become an integral part of Ecotone’s Design team, particularly by providing coaching to others and offering innovations in the planning, designing, and drafting of projects. The ideal applicant must have significant experience independently designing successful stream and wetland restoration projects as well as a passion for environmental consulting.
If you are the person we are looking for, you will be devoted to finding practical solutions with sustainability as a forefront consideration. You will be willing to take risks and create new and better ways of doing things. You will enjoy working closely with other Ecotone team members to find ways to go the extra mile and deliver results beyond the expected. You will enjoy being part of a team of people that freely share what they know with each other, with clients, and with the community at large. You will have a growth mindset and understand that a passion for learning is a prerequisite for success at Ecotone. You will very quickly develop relationships with other Ecotone team members based on mutual trust and respect.
The successful candidate will collaborate with, and occasionally lead or mentor, other designers, scientists, and engineers to research, plan, draft, and obtain permits for ecological restoration projects. Other responsibilities are shown below:
Responsibilities will include:
- Interact with and advise project managers, foremen, and construction personnel before, during, and after project implementation
- Participate in construction oversight and give guidance to construction staff, as appropriate
- Prepare and/or provide QA/QC for construction documents and As-built documents in collaboration with other Design staff
- Complete and/or QA/QC written technical reports and design summaries related to general scientific methods and analysis, stream/wetland, as well as hydraulic and hydrologic concepts
- Perform hydraulic/hydrologic modeling
- Contribute significant input for proposals, cost estimates, and invoices
- Occasionally participate and give guidance with adaptive management techniques
- Contribute on multiple projects concurrently and act in a leadership capacity at times
- Direct site assessments and geomorphic surveys, as necessary
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, ecology, hydrology, or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Five of more years of direct experience in watershed assessment, stream assessment (geomorphic and/or biologic), ecological restoration design and permitting, including stream, wetland, forest, habitat enhancement
- Significant direct experience in wetland or stream design, including as a lead
- Willingness to take risks and think outside the box when it comes to design approaches
- Proficiency using AutoCAD Civil 3D software
- Extensive experience with hydraulic and hydrologic modeling
- Proficiency using GIS software
- Significant understanding of sediment control, grading, and engineering concepts, including an understanding of stormwater management techniques.
- Excellent communication skills and project/task management experience with strong attention to detail
Benefits Include :
- Competitive Pay
- Subsidized Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Liberal paid time off and paid holidays
- Maternity/paternity paid leave
- Casual work environment
The pay range for the position approximately is between $60,000 and $82,000; starting salary will depend on qualifications. We invite you to visit our website at www.ecotoneinc.com to learn more about who we are and what we do. Ecotone is an Equal Opportunity employer and welcomes applications from any qualified candidate.
Job Type: Full-time