Friends of the Rappahannock (FOR) is a 501c3 watershed protection organization based in Fredericksburg, VA. FOR works to be the voice and active force for a healthy and scenic Rappahannock River. We accomplish this through three program pillars – advocacy, restoration, and education. FOR is seeking a full time (32-40 hours/week) Environmental Educator to support our robust environmental education program. This will include classroom and outdoor education, including on-water programs and physical restoration work, as necessary.
This is a two year, grant-funded position with opportunity to expand the position beyond the term of the grant. $12-14/hr DOE. This position will report to the Education Manager.
- Support our Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience (MWEE) program by providing in class visits to schools across our watershed, leading outdoor field experiences and supporting student action projects, such as litter clean-ups, school garden projects, oyster reef restoration and in-school or community-wide campaigns
- Support our field trip program by leading outdoor day trips for students K-12 at our 17 acre nature preserve
- Support our summer camp program leading week-long day programs for students K-8 through environmental education and river recreation programs
- Other duties as assigned by manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Env. Education, Env. Science, Biology, Ecology, Natural Resource Mgmt or related degree
- Strong working knowledge of watersheds and human impacts on watersheds
- Daily travel necessary with some early mornings and late afternoons
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Comfortable being outdoors in all weather
- Able to pass a background check
- Ability to drive company vehicles
- Classroom management skills indoor and outdoor
- Comfortable using basic tools, such as shovels and drills
- Paddling skills in canoes and/or kayaks
Friends of the Rappahannock is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please send letter and resume to Nancy Stalik, Education Manager at email@example.com