Friends of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River
Friends of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River (Friends) seeks a visionary and passionate leader to be Executive Director, our river advocate, chief spokesperson, organizational leader and fundraiser.
Friends is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to keep the North Fork of the Shenandoah River clean, healthy, and beautiful through education, science, advocacy, and community action. The North Fork is 116 miles long, its watershed covering 2,675 square miles in Rockingham, Shenandoah, Frederick and Warren counties in Virginia and Hardy County, West Virginia. Having just celebrated our 30th year of river protection, Friends is a financially stable organization primed to grow our river protection efforts.
Principal Responsibilities and Compensation
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The Executive Director reports to the Chair of the Board of Directors. Based in Woodstock, Virginia, we offer a salary commensurate with experience and that of other Shenandoah County professionals.
Desired Skills, Experience, and Personal Characteristics
Energy, passion, and vision;
- Strong commitment to environmental work and resource protection;
- Experience in developing, implementing, and managing effective environmental programs;
- Communicator with effective writing and public speaking skills;
- Ability to raise funds from foundations, corporations, and individuals;
- Ability to manage people and resources effectively;
- Knowledge of issues affecting water health in a rural setting;
- Familiarity with computer programs such as QuickBooks and constituent management databases;
- Knowledge of financial management including income and expense budgeting and regular financial reporting to the Board;
- College level degree; advanced degree a plus;
- Comfort working with rural environmental issues and constituencies;
- Experience working in a small office environment – self-motivated.
Start Date: Immediate (or as soon as possible)
Send a Statement of Interest and Resume to: Frank.Cihlar@FNFSR.org
Friends of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.