The Low Impact Development Center (LID Center) of Beltsville, MD is seeking an enthusiastic Geographic Information Systems (GIS) professional and environmental planner to work on projects involving urban forests, stormwater management, water quality, and other low impact development and green infrastructure activities. GIS Analyst responsibilities include creating, developing, and maintaining GIS databases, shape/coverage/layer data, and linkages to various databases. Duties also include entering data into the GIS, providing GIS support to various clients, creating reports, creating executable code functions, and producing maps and online materials. This person will perform programming and analytical project responsibilities which include planning, developing, coding, analyzing, and performing quality control functions to geographic related systems. A core function of the GIS Analyst position will be to produce a variety of spatial data and products for various local government agencies. The ideal candidate will also support environmental planning work.
• Oversee specialized planning functions such as natural resource inventories.
• Develop and implement outreach and involvement initiatives across diverse community and neighborhood settings.
• Record and maintain accurate documentation of meetings and events.
• Update job knowledge continuously regarding planning, community design and sustainability issues, ideas, and methods as well as engagement tools and strategies.
• Stay knowledgeable in current trends, practices, technology, and information affecting the planning profession.
• Attend, facilitate, present, and coordinate logistics, collateral materials, and displays for public or community meetings or forums.
• Plan public outreach initiatives including the development of outreach materials.
• Create, develop, and maintain GIS databases.
• Develop GIS products and manage GIS data.
• Create mapping product and only story maps.
• Provide technical support to engineering, design, and environmental planning teams.
• Create analytical tools (coding) in GIS environment for various applications.
Visit www.lidcenter.org for examples of our work and additional information about our organization.
This is an entry-level position (0-2 years’ experience) for 40 hours a week, working out of our office in Beltsville, MD. The ideal candidate will have any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Geography, Planning, Engineering, Computer Science, or closely related field. One or more years’ experience working in community planning, urban planning and with GIS, or closely related field is desired. Experience with ESRI technologies (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, ArcObjects), Python, Visual Basic, personal geodatabases, SDE databases, SharePoint, Intergraph, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Illustrator is preferred. Technical writing, AutoCAD, and Microstation are a plus. Candidates should have a general understanding of the hydrologic principles, stormwater management practices, and stormwater regulations. Special consideration is given to applicants with Prince George’s County residency. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “GIS Analyst / Environmental Planner Application”.