Public Interest Network Grant Writing Associate
The Public Interest Network is seeking a Grant Writing Associate to work with network’s advocates, organizers, attorneys, executive directors, and development staff to raise grant funding for a wide array of public interest campaigns and programs.
The Public Interest Network operates more than a dozen organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. These groups include U.S. PIRG, Environment America, Green Corps, and the National Environmental Law Center and encompass 400-plus staff. We tackle some of the biggest challenges facing our country today, such as delivering clean air, clean water and a livable climate to the next generation; transforming our energy and transportation systems for the 21st century; growing food in ways that leave both people and the planet healthier; and responding to the worst public health crisis in a century.
Over the past 50 years, our mission-driven, results-oriented approach has led to hundreds of victories. In just the past few years, we helped convince California, New Mexico, Washington state, Maine and Virginia to commit to 100% carbon-free energy, and Maryland and Maine to ban the single-use plastic foam products that are polluting our planet. But there’s more to do.
In order to achieve these results, the groups in The Public Interest Network need a strong backup staff to provide the resources, guidance and infrastructure it takes to make progress on these issues.
Specifically, the Grant Writing Associate’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Writing grant proposals and promoting the network organizations’ programs and campaigns through written updates and other affinity-building activities;
- Working with grantseekers around the country by training staff to be effective grantseekers, editing grant proposals and updates, acting as a general clearinghouse for advice and information on funding strategy and the funding community, and working with the network’s management team to ensure as a movement we meet our goals;
- Researching and identifying foundation and donor prospects and helping to maintain the information in our central database; and
- Building the movement by recruiting staff for the network’s organizations, and supporting priority network programs and projects — from training entry level staff to phone banking to helping with events.
We are looking for skilled candidates with a demonstrated commitment to social change and an appreciation of the importance of organizing. We’re also looking for candidates that are more motivated by the success of the movement than by individual achievement, and who are flexible and embrace new challenges.
Additionally, top candidates will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree and at least one year of relevant experience. Experience in fundraising and/or with an advocacy organization or on political campaigns also is preferred;
- Have exceptional expository writing and verbal persuasion skills, with the ability to translate complex campaigns and programs into targeted fundraising requests;
- Have a track record of academic success and proven leadership ability;
- Be flexible, embrace new challenges, and have a strong work ethic;
- Be detail-oriented, deadline driven, highly organized, and have excellent project management skills;
- Like, and be excellent at, working with people, but be comfortable behind the scenes;
- Be able to work independently and creatively, as well as take direction and work as part of a team; and
- Have excellent judgement, discretion and the ability to manage significant projects.
The Grant Writing Associate position requires a two-year commitment.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate may have. The Public Interest Network offers an excellent benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Washington, DC or Los Angeles, CA. Currently all of our staff are working remotely due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
To ApplyVisit https://workforprogress.org/the-public-interest-network/?id=371&utm_source=Chesapeake-Network&utm_medium=web-ad&utm_campaign=TPINsummer2021&utm_term=371&utm_content=Grant-Writing-Associateand fill out our online application. If we are interested in interviewing you for the position, we will get back to you within a week.
Things To Know When You Apply
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html?utm_source=Chesapeake-Network&utm_medium=web-ad&utm_campaign=TPINsummer2021&utm_term=371&utm_content=Grant-Writing-Associate for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
Fund for the Public Interest will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.