The Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) seeks a motivated Grants and Administration Specialist to serve as an integral member of the SERC Admin Team. SERC is a research institute of the Smithsonian Institution dedicated to ecological and environmental research and education. Its Edgewater, Maryland, campus consists of 2,650 acres of forest, farmland and wetlands, and 15 miles of Chesapeake Bay shoreline. Grants, interagency agreements and other sponsored projects supply a significant portion of SERC’s operating budget and are central to achieving its research and education mission. The Specialist reports to the Financial Administrator and plays a crucial role in ensuring SERC’s sponsored projects and administrative functions are effective, compliant and successful.
The Grants and Administration Specialist will:
- Manage, administer and monitor SERC’s portfolio of sponsored research projects
- Support Principal Investigators in compliant and successful grants management, from the proposal stage through award closeout
- Liaise with research scientists, the Smithsonian Office of Sponsored Projects and funders
- Prepare timely and accurate reports on proposals, awarded grants and other financial activities
- Enter and reconcile financial transactions
- Provide procurement services with accurate tracking and documentation
- Work as a team member providing administrative support to a globally recognized research center
- Experience and strong skills in accurate financial management and bookkeeping/accounting
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills and comfort using automated financial systems
- Strong skills in collaboration and oral and written communication with a diverse community of staff
- Ability to work independently
- Strong attention to detail and skill in organization, coordination, and prioritization
Desired Experience (some of the following):
- Experience in financial management of grants and contracts from federal, state, local, international government, or private foundations at a university, government, research institute, hospital or non-profit organization
- Knowledge of federal procurement and contracting processes and requirements
- 1 to 3 years of accounting experience, including monitoring financial aspects of grants and contracts
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field
The SERC community recognizes the value of diversity in promoting innovative science and creative solutions. We recognize each applicant will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences and backgrounds to this position. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital/parental/caregiver status and disability.
This position is Smithsonian Trust employment and offers paid leave, health, vision, dental, telework and other benefits. Proof of authorization to work in the U.S. is required. This is not a federal position.
Please submit a single PDF including a one-page cover letter and two-page resume to SERCJobs@si.edu with the subject line “Grants Specialist” by July 8, 2022. Resume must include a description of paid and non-paid related work experience with start and end dates of the job and number of hours worked per week. Applicants selected for interviews will be asked to provide contact information for three professional references.
To learn more about the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, please visit: https://serc.si.edu.