The Green Infrastructure Projects Associate job is a full-time position that will assist in programmatic work, primarily in support of the RiverSmart Homes programs which will involve field work within and around DC. The RiverSmart Homes and RiverSmart Rebate programs, offered within the District of Columbia, have been designed to help reduce stormwater runoff from private properties. Through these programs, property owners receive funding towards installing stormwater retention practices to infiltrate more runoff on their property and keep it out of the sewer systems and local waterways. Through a cooperative agreement, the Alliance assists the District of Columbia Department of Energy & Environment (DOEE) to oversee and coordinate the installation of several stormwater retention practices as a part of their RiverSmart programs.
The successful candidate should have strong organizational skills, a basic understanding of water quality and land use issues affecting the Chesapeake Bay watershed and excellent written and oral communication skills. The ability to form strong relationships and work in partnership with a variety of audiences is essential. The Alliance seeks a candidate that demonstrates creativity and foresight in implementing their tasks, with the ability to work independently and on numerous projects simultaneously. Administrative responsibilities, customer service, written communications, networking, troubleshooting, and resource development will be required. While the position will assist with existing programs, the Alliance seeks out applicants who will excel in developing innovative solutions, partnerships, and projects of their own.
Specific Duties of the Position:
- Provide administrative and homeowner/partner/funder communication support across multiple projects. ● Support project implementation, which may include assisting with the review of project designs, associated application forms and other paperwork, sitework facilitation and inspections.
- Conduct field work including percolation tests involving transportation of test equipment and some physical labor (digging and ability to lift 25 pounds).
- Assist in project data tracking, scheduling, and invoicing.
- Facilitate education and outreach efforts for Alliance program areas and assist in development and implementation of the RiverSmart Homes Ambassadors community program, requiring community level field outreach activities such as community meetings, door-to-door canvassing, and relationship building. The Ambassador Program seeks individuals to serve as neighborhood champions to assist in the continued education, partnership, and support of environmental work and practices in their communities.
- Promote the RiverSmart Maintenance Assistance Program (RSMAP) through outreach to homeowners and resource development.
- Assist with content creation and delivery across various media outlets such as newsletter additions, blog posts, news articles, social media posts, and short blurbs.
- Develop and deliver presentations and workshops to the general public.
- Encourage and engage in new partnerships, grant opportunities, and other means broadening the Alliance’s impact across the DC metropolitan region.
- As appropriate, participate in internal teams catered toward planning broader organization-wide programmatic work. ● Manage office administrative tasks and other tasks as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, communications, public relations or other relevant field. ● 1+ year relevant professional or field experience (an advanced degree in a relevant field may substitute for one year of professional experience).
- Exceptional written and verbal interpersonal communication skills.
- Basic understanding of environmental issues related to local waterways and the Chesapeake Bay. ● Ability to work in the field, comfortable working outdoors and performing some physical labor. ● Ability to work independently on multiple projects with minimal supervision as well as part of a team. ● Quick learner, well-organized, possess strong attention to detail, and have excellent time management skills. ● A valid driver’s license with the ability to transport equipment within and around DC.
- Experience in grassroots campaigns or community engagement is a plus.
- Knowledge of green infrastructure residential best management practices (rain gardens, rain barrels, permeable pavers, and conservation landscaping) and native plants is a plus.
- Professional experience in social media, website design, and other outreach platforms is a plus. ● Software proficiency desired: Google Drive Suite, basic Microsoft Office; Adobe Creative Suite.
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. We are committed to ensuring diversity and inclusion remain integral to our organizational structure, policies, board of directors,
staff, strategic goals, grants, partnerships and program delivery. The Alliance believes a broad base of participation and partners reflecting all of society is needed to be successful in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed restoration effort. Visit www.allianceforthebay.org/DEI to learn more.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay offers a family friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
Supervision: The Green Infrastructure Projects Associate will report directly to the Green Infrastructure Program Director.
Hours and Location: The Green Infrastructure Projects Associate will be based at the Alliance’s Washington DC Office with some ability to work from home. Some night and weekend work may be required. Travel throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed is needed at times. The position advertised is full-time (40 hours per week). Please note that Alliance facilities are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and this position will work remotely until further notice.
Salary: $42,500+, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits are available.
Application: Please email your cover letter, résumé, and list of 2 professional references (including the skills in which they may reference) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, April 12, 2021. Indicate “Green Infrastructure Projects Associate” in the email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.