Hampton Roads Administrative Assistant
November 30, 2019
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Hampton Roads Administrative Assistant to be based at its Brock Environmental Center located in Virginia Beach, VA.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established in 1967, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 190 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $26 million and is supported by 300,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Hampton Roads Administrative Assistant provides support for CBF staff, volunteers, members, and interested citizens.
Essential functions include:
1. Perform general administrative duties including preparing and proofreading correspondence; maintaining office supplies and equipment; preparing mailings; helping manage volunteer inquiries and tasks; taking notes during meetings; maintaining files; keeping the physical office space neat and well-supplied; and other tasks as needed. Periodically, this position will work the front desk at CBF’s Brock Environmental Center to screen and route incoming phone calls, greet visitors, and process mail and deliveries.
2. Assist staff with organizing and managing special events, restoration activities, and educational workshops. This includes preparing and organizing equipment and supplies, setting up rooms, registering and greeting guests, preparing meeting and event materials, working with vendors to secure contracts, helping market and promote events, and acting as a liaison and CBF resource throughout the events. This includes becoming knowledgeable about the types of activities and projects that CBF does to effectively communicate with the public and answer inquiries effectively.
Salary Range: $38,000-$42,000 (negotiable)
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
One to three years of experience in an administrative position, which includes contact with the public. Some knowledge or experience with environmental restoration work is preferred. Ability to learn and apply CBF’s procedures and to become familiar about CBF’s issues. Excellent oral and written communication skills needed. Proficient with standard office equipment (copier, phone systems), computer systems, and MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
To apply, please send resume and cover letter through job posting on CBF website no later than November 30, 2019.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred retirement plan.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
Just as biodiversity is the key to a thriving ecosystem, human diversity is the key to saving the Bay. Success depends on people from widely diverse backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, identities, and races taking collective action. Clean water, clean air, and a safe environment are rights we all share.
To increase diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation will:
· Recruit and retain a staff, board, and membership that reflect the diversity of people living within the Chesapeake Bay region;
· Strengthen and broaden the diversity of our partnerships;
· Celebrate and value the diversity of staff; and
· Fight to ensure that everyone has equal access to clean water, clean air, and a safe environment.
CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.