The Historic Virginia Land Conservancy (HVLC) is a non-profit that protects scenic, agricultural, and historic lands in the lower James, York, Rappahannock, and Chowan Rivers and watersheds by working hand-in-hand with landowners to create and monitor conservation easements. Our friendly and close-knit board is seeking applicants for Executive Director and encourage all qualified candidates to apply!
Brief Job Description
The Executive Director (ED) administers a portfolio of properties located throughout our territory. The ED manages a growing staff of 2, ensures active accreditation status with the Land Trust Accreditation Commission, and partners with conservation groups such as Virginia United Land Trusts (VaULT) and Land Trust Alliance (LTA) to stay abreast of industry trends and rules.
The ED oversees the finances of HVLC by monitoring the health of investments, developing annual budgets, and consulting with the finance committee to maintain organizational solvency. The ED spearheads fundraising efforts by applying for grant funding, networking with and soliciting new sponsors, tracking donations, and planning and implementing fundraising and free public (“friendraising”) events.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, with additional input from the Advisory Board.
Benefits and Compensation
- Competitive $65,000 – $85,000 salary range (commensurate with candidate’s experience and
anticipated time commitment)
- 32-40 hour work week commitment.
- We offer flexibility if a candidate desires a 4 day work week! We are also interested in candidates who have ideas, strategies or a management style that is more conducive to a 40 hour work week
- Generous vacation and holiday paid time off
- Employer funded Health Reimbursement Account (for health insurance, dental and vision expenses)
- Simple IRA plan with employer matching
- Reimbursement for travel expenses
- 2-3 day flexible work from home policy (after end of orientation)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid Driver’s License, fully insured vehicle and ability and willingness to travel several times a month to locations within our territory
- Ability to work in our Williamsburg office several days a week
- Ability to travel to industry events and seminars held throughout Virginia
- Experience (preferably 3-5 years) managing a non-profit, including such tasks as overseeing staff, financial management, researching new developing areas in conservation
- Experience (preferably 3-5 years) with fundraising and grant writing
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills including public speaking, cold calling and networking with industry leaders
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (including Teams) and general computer literacy
- Sincere appreciation for the outdoors and for conservation
- Willingness to be a team player in all respects
HVLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or veteran status. HVLC honors its ongoing commitment to non-discriminatory employment and compliance with the rules and regulations set forth by the EEOC. The final candidate will be subject to background and reference checks.
The desired start date for the position is January 2024.
To apply, all qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and short writing sample to HVLCDirectorSearch@gmail.com.