Holt Center Educator – Sultana Education Foundation (Chestertown, MD)
February 18, 2022
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Working with the Director of Science Programs, the Holt Center Educator will assist with and lead K-12 educational programs in the Spring and Fall based out of Sultana Education Foundation’s (SEF’s) Holt Education Center. These programs will include, but are not limited to, Watershed Watch, historical walking tours of Chestertown, Chesapeake Bay ecology lessons, and paddling programs. Training will be provided for all of these programs by senior SEF staff. In the Summer, the Educator will assist with implementation of SEF’s Bay Discovery Camp, a week-long day camp for children 5-7 years of age. Bay Discovery Camp introduces children to the natural world of the Chesapeake Bay through science-based outdoor experiences. During each session, staff implement science lessons and lead field study activities, games, art projects, and assist with animal care and handling.
- Provide general support to the Director of Science Programs
- Work as a team to deliver high-quality K-12 environmental education programs focused on Chesapeake Bay ecology
- Participate in set-up and clean-up of daily activities
- Support paddling programs with student groups
- Assist with care and maintenance of the Holt Education Center’s animal ambassadors
- Lead games, crafts, and science lessons for Bay Discovery Camp
- Dispense basic First Aid when necessary
- Ensure campers have a fun, safe learning environment
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent education, training, or experience in science, environmental, or multidisciplinary studies, or a relevant field
- At least 1 year of relevant formal or informal teaching experience, including environmental education, science education, or residential outdoor education
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends
- A valid First Aid / CPR certificate or willingness to obtain upon hire
- A desire to work with students and inspire a love of learning and love for the natural world
- Covid vaccination is required, with exception given to documented medical conditions or religious beliefs
- On-site, free housing
- Up to 5 paid personal / sick days, pro-rated for term of employment
- Up to 8 paid Holidays, pro-rated for term of employment
- 100% employee paid health insurance (bronze plan)
- 3% employee matched 403(b) retirement plan
- Disability and life insurance
DIVERSE, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
Sultana Education Foundation (SEF) is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should email a resume, cover letter, and two references to Jackie Doerr, Director of Science Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.