The Horticulture Forestry and Environmental Education Division of Montgomery Parks is looking for a self-motivated and highly knowledgeable Horticulturist I – Supervisor to join Pope Farm Nursery’s horticulture team. This position is responsible for assisting in plant design, selection, transplanting, installation and care of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plant material in various Parks, display gardens, and Nature Centers across Montgomery County. The candidate will also be responsible for directing staff on new installation of community gardens, delivery and pickup of garden materials, and maintenance of gardens throughout the county. The successful candidate will stay abreast of the latest innovations in horticulture, perform technical horticulture tasks to optimize plant growth, apply proper planting techniques, perform pruning, diagnose, correct plant problems, establish watering schedules, apply integrated pest management principles, and provide educational training in areas of horticulture to other staff.
The Horticulturist would join the Horticulture, Forestry and Environmental Educational Division
which is part of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission. This great team
preserves and maintains the natural resources of parkland, ensures a safe environment for park patrons, and enhances the beauty of parks. Montgomery Parks has 421 parks encompassing 37,000 acres of trails, natural areas, athletic fields, playgrounds, stormwater facilities, a plant production nursery and botanical garden.
This opportunity is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
Examples of Important Duties
Landscape Design and Installation
- Assists in the planning of landscape projects in parks.
- Assists in the selection, layout, and installation of plant material for projects.
- Ensures proper planting and care of trees, shrubs, and herbaceous material.
- Performs horticultural tasks to optimize plant growth including conducting soil tests, adding soil amendments, identification of pest problems and recommendations for treatments using integrated pest management strategies.
- Provides quality control checks for all work of the landscape team.
- Skilled at operating landscape equipment to complete horticulture tasks.
- Provides hands-on training for other staff on simple horticulture topics such as mulching, pruning, plant installation.
Plant Aftercare Program
- Oversees the plant aftercare program for two years after installation of plant material.
- Establishes plant maintenance cycles and travel routes for watering, pruning, weed removal and mulch installation.
- Utilizes integrated pest management techniques such as mechanical and chemical control to remove pests.
Assists in Coordinating the Tree Digging/Planting Program
- Works with Nursery staff to develop a tree digging schedule for balled and burlapped plant material to be transplanted into parks.
- Selects new tree planting locations throughout the parks, county-wide.
- Works with staff in other divisions to coordinate planting.
- Ensures proper sized root balls are dug based on industry standards.
Data Collection and Tracking
- Accounts for labor and materials for each project and inputs into enterprise asset management (EAM) system.
- Utilizes ARCGIS Collector to map tree planting installations.
- Creates routes for tree aftercare program and tracks cycles of maintenance.
- Contacts Miss Utility and in-house utilities to clear property prior to digging.
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field; and
- One year of professional experience in horticulture or closely related field; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- A Maryland State Pesticide Applicator’s License may be required within six months of employment, dependent on assigned duties of the incumbent.
- Knowledgeable of large balled and burlapped tree planting techniques and horticultural best management practices for sustainable landscapes
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License with tanker endorsement
- Certified Pesticide applicator with the state of Maryland
- Skilled at operating landscape equipment such as backhoe, mini-excavator, dingo, loader and tree spade
Person(s) hired for this position must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (with limited religious or medical exceptions).
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor.
This position is eligible for an employment sign-on bonus!