BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Howard County Recreation and Parks operates the Robinson Nature Center. This position performs intermediate level recreation services work ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the Center. This position provides support to the Facility Leader II and to full-time staff of the Center. This position will work closely with the Program Manager for assistance with program marketing including Facebook posts, flyers, posters, and other duties as assigned. This position will assist in providing customer service and support for center operations. This position is part-time, non-benefited and year round. Facility Leaders work 37-38 hours a week; weekends and some evenings required. Wednesday- Saturday 8:45am-5:15pm and Sundays 11:45am-5:15 pm.
DUTIES: Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with ActiveNet membership, entering seasonal programs and program registration.
- Performs opening and closing duties as assigned.
- Greet all visitors, directs guests around the Center based on their interests or purpose for visiting.
- Daily monitoring of Center voicemail and directing messages to appropriate party.
- Makes phone calls as directed contacting participants with cancellations, program updates and maintains program wait lists. Performs refunds when necessary.
- Set up and take down of equipment for non-package rentals.
- Create and maintain permits for Naturalist Birthday Party rentals.
- Answers a multi-line phone and directs calls to the appropriate coordinator.
- Use multi-channel scanning County radio.
- Provides marketing and program promotion to walk in customers.
- Create small flyers with event information and keep whiteboards up to date.
- Keep outside and inside kiosks and classrooms stocked with appropriate literature.
- Performs data processing including program attendance, rental attendance and special event attendance.
- Assists with gift shop sales, product placement, ordering and inventory.
- Assists with Touch Tank maintenance and Touch Tank public hours when needed.
- Maintains community calendars with RNC programs.
- Maintain cleanliness of Discovery Room, Legacy Room and front Lobby.
- Communicates clearly and courteously with the public and coworkers including issues that could affect public safety.
- Work closely with the Naturalist, Program Manager and Volunteer Coordinator to conduct efficient registration and program/special event check in.
- Work closely with the Program Manager for assistance with program marketing including Facebook posts, flyers, posters and other duties as assigned.
- File permits and other paperwork.
- Assists with completing center forms.
- Monitors center patrons and enforces center rules.
- Wear Recreation and Parks shirt and nametag.
- Be trained in the use of the AED, CPR and First Aid.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and occasionally crawl. The employee will use his hands to hold hand tools. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, and climb or balance. The employee must be able to talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Read and follow written directions. Able to work independently on all shifts (late night and early morning and weekends). Ability to communicate with public safety officials in emergency and non-emergency situations, communicate with park officials, complete detailed reports, ability to manage numerous activities within a facility. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to maintain effective relationships with the public. Be flexible, reliable, responsible and enjoy working with the general public
EXPERIENCE: Have a basic understanding of park operations and two-years of experience working with the public in a variety of settings. Must have basic knowledge of nature center operations.
EDUCATION: Must be at least 18 years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED equivalency.
RATE OF PAY: Contingent – Paraprofessional
$13.00 – $15.00/hour
Submit resume to Emily Sizemore; firstname.lastname@example.org