UpLift Crew Member Position Available!
Reports to: Crew Leader
This is an opportunity to gain experience with environmental restoration work. Howard EcoWorks also provides training in various soft-skills as well as coaching to give one a leg-up on finding a job in the environmental industry. Crew Members work in teams of 2-7 under the direction of a Crew Leader or Assistant Crew Leader to construct and maintain rain gardens, conservation landscapes and other green stormwater practices around Howard County. Crew Members also engage in other environmental work such as tree plantings, tree maintenance, invasive plant removals, stream clean ups, and more. Crew members can expect to work outdoors in a wide range of weather conditions. Crew Members receive job skills training and are exposed to local and regional environmental issues. Crew Members will receive training and may receive a certificate for the Chesapeake Bay Landscaping Professional-Associate program, contingent on passing. Crew Members will also be exposed to a variety of career opportunities in the environmental and stormwater industries.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Construction and maintenance of environmental landscaping practices such as rain gardens, native landscapes, native tree plantings, and stream restoration projects
- Plant, excavate, mulch, and remove invasive plants according to the project at hand
- Inspect local streams after major storm events
- Remove tree limbs, overgrowth, and other debris from local streams
- Properly use, store and care for all equipment, tools, materials, etc.
- Community outreach and public engagement
- Adhere to company protocols surrounding COVID-19, including but not limited to: wearing of masks, weekly temperature checks, social distancing while traveling in vehicles and working in close proximity, and proactive communication of symptoms to supervisors.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Ability to work in a variety of outdoor settings including forests and streams
- Able to work with a team as well as independently
- Able to physically stand, bend, squat, and lift up to 40 pounds
- Must have reliable transportation to initial job site
- May need to use their personal vehicle during the course of work. Mileage is reimbursed at the then-applicable IRS rates
- Passion and/or interest in the outdoors
- Previous experience working outdoors or in landscaping
- Flexible with changes in day to day tasks
UpLift Crew Member Timeline & Benefits:
This is a full-time, seasonal position, with hourly wages, that works through
December 10th, 2021. Crew hours in the Spring and the Fall are Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 4:30
PM (during the summer, hours shift to 7 AM to 3:30 PM), with a half-hour unpaid lunch break. Breaks in the work schedule may occur due to inclement weather or other circumstances. Weekend work opportunities may be available but are not mandatory. Work is weather-dependent but training and professional development opportunities may be offered on bad-weather days.
- Paid sick leave – 1 hour of Paid Sick Leave accumulated for every 30 hours worked
- Option to enroll in the EcoWorks 401(k) plan
- Opportunity to earn a Chesapeake Bay Landscape Professional-Associate certificate
- Development opportunities including internal advancement to leadership positions
- Paid holidays