Job Description: Seasonal Part-Time Nursery Assistant
Reports to: Conservation and Restoration Director
The Nursery Assistant provides operational support for the Howard EcoWorks Seeds of Change native plant nursery located adjacent to the Howard County Corrections facility. Seeds of Change is an environmental and workforce development initiative that provides opportunities to in-mates, receiving education, and developing skills that can help them upon release. Maintains existing infrastructure, grows plants, provides support for maintaining the plant inventory, track sales, lead volunteer groups and inmates. Supports public plant sales and tree/plant giveaways to the public from the nursery and in the community.
Qualifications and Requirements:
● Gardening, natural resources or related education and experience
● Knowledge of and experience with local native and invasive plants
● Plant seeding and propagation techniques.
● Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
● Ability to work independently and in a team.
● Self-starter, motivated and professional
● Ability to lift 40 pounds.
● Driver’s license and own transportation (mileage reimbursed for authorized work usage)
Hours and Compensation:
● Position is seasonal part-time, 20-25 hours/week, including occasional weekend work.
The expected term for the position is 9 months; an extension may be granted if
additional help is needed.
● Wage: $16/hr.
● Access to the corporate 401(K) plan, with matching based on tenure.
● An hour of sick leave is accrued for every 30 hours worked.
Howard EcoWorks is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly
encourages applications from minority candidates.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at
Howard EcoWorks. EcoWorks does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin,
religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental
disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other
basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.