Environmental Concern (EC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 1972 to respond to the dramatic loss of wetlands and shoreline habitat in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. EC’s Native Plant Nursery staff is passionate about sowing, growing, and maintaining plants for EC’s restoration projects and selling to companies working on similar projects in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. Our nursery is a leading grower and supplier of native wetland and upland plants, and delivers and ships a wide variety of native plants throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region.
All successful applicants must demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively and efficiently in a team environment and must share a commitment to the highest standards in customer service, quality, and professionalism.
Join a growing nursery operation and take part in planning EC’s new, expanded nursery operation, scheduled for 2022.
Environmental Concern (EC) is seeking a self-motivated individual to assist in the daily operations of our native plant nursery. The Nursery Technician’s role is to support EC’s natural habitat and water quality initiatives through the propagation and maintenance of native plants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plant propagation: Sow seeds during the growing season quickly, consistently, and correctly; transplant established plants into larger-sized containers with the same efficiency.
- Plant maintenance: weeding, watering and monitoring based on schedule defined by manager.
- Plant preparation: for EC’s projects and for wholesale and retail orders.
Work Environment & Requirements:
Candidate must be able to do the following:
- work in variable outdoor conditions, including extreme heat and inclement weather;
- take on field-work that includes operating ATVs and tractors (training provided for all vehicles);
- stand for long periods of time, perform repetitive motions with hands and arms, frequently lift objects up to 50 lbs., and frequently bend and stoop;
- have a strong work ethic and be a self-starter; must be able to work on repetitive tasks for long periods of time unsupervised;
- enjoy a busy environment and multi-tasking; and
- perform duties safely and maintain a clean and safe work environment.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- previous nursery or greenhouse preferred, but not required;
- high school diploma;
- interest in the following fields: botany, horticulture, ecological restoration, natural resources;
- knowledge of native plants and experience with plant identification preferred; an
- candidate must show proof of a clean, valid driver’s license.
Email a resume, cover letter, and list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org