Title: Racial Justice and Equity Intern
Department: Executive Office
Reports to: Chief Officer for Racial Justice and Equity
Duration: 12 Weeks – May to August 2021 (start and end dates flexible)
Schedule and Compensation: 40 hours per week; $15.00 per hour
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country. We are unmatched in our ability to ensure meaningful action on our key issues. We aim to bring people and communities together across racial, geographic, political, religious, economic and other differences toward collective goals instead of dividing us from one another.
LCV is seeking a Racial Justice and Equity Intern who will support the Chief Officer for Racial Justice and Equity in aligning our individual, departmental, and the Racial Justice & Equity Working Group’s work plans with LCV’s strategic plan. The internship will provide our Racial Justice and Equity Intern with opportunities to develop a broad understanding of LCV’s efforts to center Racial Justice & Equity in all of our work and how such efforts might be used to help any organization become a more equitable, inclusive, and effective workplace. Special projects include writing a draft report on LCV’s Racial Justice and Equity work over the past 6 years, supporting the Learning, Education, and Growth Opportunities (L.E.G.O.) League plan learning solutions to foster a culture of learning across the organization, and cataloguing our Racial Justice and Equity Resource Library.
The Racial Justice and Equity Intern will join a cohort of LCV interns. Summer interns participate in brown bag lunches with various members of LCV’s senior management team, including President Gene Karpinski.
Intern Will Gain Experience in:
- Collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data across the organization;
- Creating organizational assessment tools designed to evaluate LCV’s progress on Racial Justice and Equity;
- Researching the history of the conservation, environmental, and environmental movements;
- Developing organizational change management skills centered in principles of Racial Justice and Equity;
- Creating and implementing Learning and Professional Development for a complex organization.
- Work Experience: 6 months administrative support work, including internship experience preferred.
- Skills: Highly organized; strong attention to detail; excellent written and oral communications skills; strong research skills; exhibits solid judgment; critical thinking skills; able to work independently and as a team; able to handle multiple tasks; self-starter; proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite. Knowledge of history of race relations within the U.S. preferred.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity and inclusion in our movement and organization, integrating racial justice and equity into the work we do, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Commitment to environmental protection and mission of LCV.
- Conditions: The location of this position is flexible. Please note that all LCV staff and interns are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Racial Justice and Equity Intern” in the subject line no later than March 7, 2021. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.