The Environmental Law Institute (ELI) is accepting applications to fill a position of Manager of Educational Programs.
ELI is a non-profit organization located in Washington, D.C., and is a leading center of environmental research, policy analysis, and training in the United States. Founded at the beginning of the modern environmental era more than five decades ago, ELI has played a pivotal role in the evolution of environmental law. Today, ELI is an internationally-recognized independent research and education organization whose interdisciplinary staff of lawyers and scientists works to develop creative solutions to critical problems in environmental law, policy, and management worldwide. ELI is also a renowned membership organization for environmental professionals, promoting excellence in environmental law by providing the field’s finest publications, intensive legal practice and training courses, regional seminars, and forums on key policy issues.
What Would You Be Doing Exactly?
As Manager of Education Programs, you will help plan the logistics for high-quality attorney trainings and educational programming that serves the interests and needs of ELI’s membership and the environmental law profession the world over. The Education team puts on 50+ programs a year and is key to setting the agenda and curriculum for what our members and the environmental law community around the world need to know now. In this role, you will be setting up and helping plan educational events for those in the know in the environmental law field.
The Manager of Educational Programs, directly reports to the Senior Manager of Educational Programs and works under the guidance of the Vice President of Development & Membership and the Vice President of Research & Publications. The Manager will have an interest in environmental law and/or policy and will be eager to learn more.
More specifically, you will:
- Help the Senior Manager to develop and deliver programs for members consistent with ELI’s mission, with a focus on developing ELI’s Annual Boot Camps and Summer School events.
- Facilitate all administrative and logistical aspects of the training events including speaker outreach, planning calls, and handling webinar technology and in-person event set up. Some travel may be required.
- Submit, manage, and track Continuing Legal Education applications with many states and for various programs
- Communicate with our members and attendees to promote and drive up attendance for our programs.
- Coordinate with ELI staff to help them deliver quality programs highlighting their work.
What do you need to thrive in this role?
Having a passion for and knowledge of environmental law or related environmental policy fields, along with a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in these fields will be essential in thriving as a Manager of Education Programs.
The Educational Program is collaborative by nature, and you must be able to interact in a professional manner with people from diverse racial, ethnic, political, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We employ anti-racist practices and principles while striving to support ELI’s culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. Other skills needed for both positions but not limited to include:
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to conduct detailed event planning in such a manner as to continually have programs lined up in advance and balance numerous events at varying stages of planning simultaneously
- Superb attention to detail and ability to reliably adhere to deadlines
- Strong communication skills including writing, social media, and verbal communication (including public speaking)
- Proficiency with standard office software, including Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- represent ELI publicly in a manner consistent with our mission and values
- manage events and projects effectively and efficiently while producing high-quality deliverables
- collaborate effectively with others
- effectively manage multiple projects/events and establish priorities with moderate supervision
- confidentially and professionally communicate and interact with experts in all aspects of the environmental field
Who is ELI?
The Environmental Law Institute (ELI) is a research and education “think and do” tank that makes law work for people, places, and the planet. We envision a healthy environment, prosperous economies, and vibrant communities founded on the rule of law. Our mission is to foster innovative, just, and practical law and policy solutions to enable leaders across borders and sectors to make environmental, economic, and social progress.
What can you expect from ELI?
The Manager position salary range is $50,000 – $54,0000 based on experience. ELI’s total compensation includes excellent benefits including:
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employer-paid life insurance & disability insurance
- Long Term Care insurance
- Pre-tax transportation benefit
- Fitness Incentive
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Account with employer match
- Paid time off
Ready to apply? Here’s how…
Submit an application package via ELI’s online application system. Simply visit https://www.eli.org/employment to get started. Note that your submission must contain the following uploaded documents (Word or PDF format), as follows:
- Cover letter addressing your personal goals and interests, as well as your experience and interest in carrying out the duties outlined above.
- Resume with dates for all listed experience
ELI will accept applications for this position until 11:59 pm EST Tuesday, February 28, 2023. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled prior to the closing deadline. You must use ELI’s online application system; ELI cannot accept applications submitted by email, USPS or other shipping service, or hand delivery.
Please note that to ensure the health and safety of the ELI workforce, any offer of employment from ELI is contingent on candidates providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. ELI management will consider requests for religious or medical exceptions, consistent with applicable law.
ELI is an equal opportunity employer firmly committed to achieving an inclusive, diverse workforce that values every individual. We firmly believe that hiring individuals with varying perspectives and backgrounds contributes to our success as an organization, and we strive to create an environment that fosters inclusiveness. As such, minority candidates and candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.