Maryland Dept of Natural Resources- Work2Live WELL Seasonal Crew Chief
January 16, 2019
The Work2Live WELL (W2L WELL) program is a eight-week spring trade development program for underrepresented and underserved adults operated by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Chesapeake & Coastal Service. W2L WELL uses field training combined with classroom sessions, one-on-one mentoring, and coaching assistance through which participants will gain important technical and life skills necessary to succeed and thrive in fields of forestry/arboriculture, wildlife management, restoration, and land/marine construction. A goal of W2L WELL is to establish a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can excel. The Chesapeake & Coastal Service is currently recruiting 2 seasonal contractual positions to serve as Crew Chiefs for the W2L WELL program.
The W2L WELL Crew Chief is responsible for the overall daily supervision of a field-based crew. The program begins Thursday – February 28th and concludes with a graduation ceremony on Thursday – May 2nd. Dates are subject to change. During this eight-week period, full-time availability (40+ hours/week) is mandatory. Dates that fall outside this period, including pre-training orientation, and post-training evaluation are variable and may be less than 40 hours per week.
The W2L WELL Crew Chief shall provide leadership, direction and guidance to W2L WELL trainees, ensure they utilize strategies provided in training to maintain a safe and educational work environment. When faced with challenges, the ideal candidate for this position provides creative problem solving skills to arrive at innovative solutions. Additional responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
• Proper professional work ethic and behavior.
• Ensure that projects are properly, professionally and completely executed to the satisfaction of site instructors.
• Manage the data selected with work projects assignments as required by the W2L WELL Program Manager.
• Transportation of W2L WELL trainees in state provided vehicle to field sites.
• Coaching and mentorship of W2L WELL trainees and collaborate broadly between internal staff, stakeholders, and the community.
• Demonstrate a commitment to professional and personal growth by initiating dialogue with colleagues, engaging in self-directed learning and focusing on professional development.
• Contribute through professional conduct to a working environment that is energetic, innovative and collaborative.
• Communicate with supervisor, department personnel, and outside organizations to coordinate activities and programs, resolve issues and conflicts, and exchange information.
• Participate in Department wide initiatives as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will include the following skills, and abilities:
• Inspire staff, guests, and the community.
• Model appropriate and effective behavior.
• Constructively challenge ideas and processes.
• Be self-aware, reflective, and cultivate personal growth.
• Assess and evaluate situations effectively.
• Take initiative with minimal supervision.
• Manage time efficiently and effectively through scheduling and prioritizing.
• Interpret rules and regulations.
Working conditions: Duties may require exposure to hazardous locations, contaminated areas, enclosed spaces, and heights, under inclement weather, and other adverse conditions. This position requires the ability to perform those activities necessary to complete the essential functions of the job, either with or without reasonable accommodation. Duties are performed in an office environment and in the field. This position often requires walking on uneven or rough terrain in all weather conditions. This position requires talking (both in person and over the phone), sitting, repetitive motions of the hands/wrists and good general vision and hearing ability. It may also require the ability to lift or carry up to 40 pounds.